Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Joel Rees <jo...@alpsgiken.gr.jp> on 2002/07/01 04:27:35 UTC

Re: Tomcat v. Apache

>  but I was wondering if
> you would kindly send me some guidance on using the various directives for the
> Apache Server?!

Just a thought, but have you read through the comments in httpd.conf? I
find they are easier to understand after having read through them once
or twice. (Kept falling asleep the first time I read through them, yes.)

Have you got a basic apache server running (without Tomcat)? I basically
did not have to touch my httpd.conf file the first time I brought apache
up. I found that playing (experimenting) with apache is the best way to
figure out the directives and the documentation.

Experimenting on a private network is a good idea. I. e., since you
won't want to mess with DNS the first time around, physically
disconnecting your lan or modem, start up your server(s) then access
them at http:localhost for apache and standalone tomcat, and
http://localhost:8080 for tomcat specific stuff when you have apache
front-ending it. If localhost doesn't work, try the loopback, at
http://127.0.0.1.

I usually just plan on giving myself private one-day seminars on these
things. Understanding those configuration files helps me not make
mistakes when I use point-and-click interfaces, too.

--
Joel Rees <jo...@alpsgiken.gr.jp>