Posted to hdfs-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com> on 2013/06/26 10:17:55 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.1.0-beta

Folks,

I've created a release candidate (rc0) for hadoop-2.1.0-beta that I would like to get released.

This release represents a *huge* amount of work done by the community (639 fixes) which includes several major advances including:
# HDFS Snapshots
# Windows support
# YARN API stabilization
# MapReduce Binary Compatibility with hadoop-1.x
# Substantial amount of integration testing with rest of projects in the ecosystem

The RC is available at: http://people.apache.org/~acmurthy/hadoop-2.1.0-beta-rc0/
The RC tag in svn is here: http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/tags/release-2.1.0-beta-rc0

The maven artifacts are available via repository.apache.org.

Please try the release and vote; the vote will run for the usual 7 days.

thanks,
Arun

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 1:17 AM, Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I've created a release candidate (rc0) for hadoop-2.1.0-beta that I would like to get released.
>
> This release represents a *huge* amount of work done by the community (639 fixes) which
> includes several major advances including:
> # HDFS Snapshots
> # Windows support
> # YARN API stabilization
> # MapReduce Binary Compatibility with hadoop-1.x
> # Substantial amount of integration testing with rest of projects in the ecosystem
>
> The RC is available at: http://people.apache.org/~acmurthy/hadoop-2.1.0-beta-rc0/
> The RC tag in svn is here: http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/tags/release-2.1.0-beta-rc0

+1 (non-binding).

As usual I built the entire Bigtop based on this RC of Hadoop
and ran the battery of smoke tests with secure and unsecure
configuration.

Thanks,
Roman.

P.S. The blocker bug from a previous RC where NN would consistently OOM
seems to have disappeared. I'll update the JIRA accordingly.

Posted by Jason Lowe <jl...@yahoo-inc.com>.
I committed MAPREDUCE-5358 to branch-2 but did not commit it to
branch-2.1-beta since it wasn't a blocker and Arun was in the middle of
cutting the release.

Arun, if you feel it's appropriate to put this in branch-2.1-beta feel
free to pull it in or let me know.  Thanks!

Jason

Posted by Jason Lowe <jl...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Posted by Jason Lowe <jl...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Posted by Jason Lowe <jl...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Posted by Tsuyoshi OZAWA <oz...@gmail.com>.
Hi Arun,

--
- Tsuyoshi

Posted by Tsuyoshi OZAWA <oz...@gmail.com>.
Hi Arun,

I think MAPREDUCE-5221 should be merged because it's a missing feature
from MRv1.

Thanks,
Tsuyoshi

Posted by Ramya Sunil <ra...@hortonworks.com>.
-1.

Posted by Tsuyoshi OZAWA <oz...@gmail.com>.
Hi Arun,

--
- Tsuyoshi

Posted by Tsuyoshi OZAWA <oz...@gmail.com>.
Hi Arun,

--
- Tsuyoshi

Posted by Azuryy Yu <az...@gmail.com>.
+1 only for HDFS and common.

I compiled using source, now everything I tested is fine.

I configured QJM HA, enabled short circuit read, ran a MRv1 job;

note: my testing cluster using HDFS-2.1.0-beta and common-2.1.0-beta, but
MR is 1.1.2.( I did some change)

Posted by Azuryy Yu <az...@gmail.com>.
Hi Arun,

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.
Hi Arun!

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 2:05 PM, Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
> Thanks Hitesh & Roman, I'll roll RC1 once these are fixed.

Here's the latest update. I've incorporated Collin's patch for HADOOP-9676
and re-ran the tests. A few subtests of TestCLI still fail, but quite a few
pass and on top of that the failing ones no longer make the NN go OOM.

Now, we still need to get to the bottom of why the subset of tests
keep failing, but
at this point I'd feel comfortable committing a change for HADOOP-9676
to branch-2.1 and going from there.

Let me know if I can help some more.

Thanks,
Roman.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.
Hi Arun!

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.
On 26 June 2013 09:17, Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> Folks,
>

> The RC tag in svn is here:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/tags/release-2.1.0-beta-rc0

did all the poms go up?

[INFO]
[INFO] Building Hoya: HBase on YARN 0.0.1-SNAPSHOT
[INFO]
Downloading:
http://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2/org/apache/hadoop/hadoop-common/2.1.0-beta/hadoop-common-2.1.0-beta.pom
[WARNING] The POM for org.apache.hadoop:hadoop-common:jar:2.1.0-beta is
missing, no dependency information available
Downloading:
http://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2/org/apache/hadoop/hadoop-minicluster/2.1.0-beta/hadoop-minicluster-2.1.0-beta.pom
[WARNING] The POM for org.apache.hadoop:hadoop-minicluster:jar:2.1.0-beta
is missing, no dependency information available
Downloading:
http://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2/org/apache/hadoop/hadoop-hdfs/2.1.0-beta/hadoop-hdfs-2.1.0-beta.pom
[WARNING] The POM for org.apache.hadoop:hadoop-hdfs:jar:2.1.0-beta is
missing, no dependency information available
[WARNING] The POM for org.apache.hadoop:hadoop-common:jar:tests:2.1.0-beta
is missing, no dependency information available
Downloading:
http://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2/org/apache/hadoop/hadoop-yarn-server-common/2.1.0-beta/hadoop-yarn-server-common-2.1.0-beta.pom
[WARNING] The POM for
org.apache.hadoop:hadoop-yarn-server-common:jar:2.1.0-beta is missing, no
dependency information available
Downloading:
http://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2/org/apache/hadoop/hadoop-common/2.1.0-beta/hadoop-common-2.1.0-beta.jar
Downloading:
http://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2/org/apache/hadoop/hadoop-minicluster/2.1.0-beta/hadoop-minicluster-2.1.0-beta.jar
Downloading:
http://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2/org/apache/hadoop/hadoop-hdfs/2.1.0-beta/hadoop-hdfs-2.1.0-beta.jar
Downloading:
http://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2/org/apache/hadoop/hadoop-common/2.1.0-beta/hadoop-common-2.1.0-beta-tests.jar
Downloading:
http://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2/org/apache/hadoop/hadoop-yarn-server-common/2.1.0-beta/hadoop-yarn-server-common-2.1.0-beta.jar
[INFO]
[INFO] BUILD FAILURE
[INFO]
[INFO] Total time: 2.137s
[INFO] Finished at: Wed Jun 26 20:45:22 BST 2013
[INFO] Final Memory: 6M/265M
[INFO]
[ERROR] Failed to execute goal on project hoya: Could not resolve
dependencies for project org.apache.hadoop.hoya:hoya:jar:0.0.1-SNAPSHOT:
The following artifacts could not be resolved:
org.apache.hadoop:hadoop-common:jar:2.1.0-beta,
org.apache.hadoop:hadoop-minicluster:jar:2.1.0-beta,
org.apache.hadoop:hadoop-hdfs:jar:2.1.0-beta,
org.apache.hadoop:hadoop-common:jar:tests:2.1.0-beta,
org.apache.hadoop:hadoop-yarn-server-common:jar:2.1.0-beta: Could not find
artifact org.apache.hadoop:hadoop-common:jar:2.1.0-beta in central (
http://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2) -> [Help 1]

Posted by Sandy Ryza <sa...@cloudera.com>.
For YARN-791, if we can come to consensus on the correct approach, I can
try to have a patch ASAP.

-Sandy

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 3:00 PM, Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
> Ok, I think we are close to rc1 now - the last of blockers should be committed later today… I'll try and spin RC1 tonight.

Great news! I'm back from my vacation (man, those were good 3 weeks!
;-)) and I'll
try to pull the RC into Bigtop and test it ASAP.

Thanks,
Roman.

Posted by Karthik Kambatla <ka...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Arun,

Would it be possible to include YARN-1056 in the next RC - it is a
straight-forward config change. I marked it as a blocker for 2.1.0.

Thanks
Karthik

Posted by Karthik Kambatla <ka...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Arun,

Posted by Karthik Kambatla <ka...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Arun,

Posted by Kihwal Lee <ki...@yahoo-inc.com>.

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

Posted by Kihwal Lee <ki...@yahoo-inc.com>.

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

Posted by Kihwal Lee <ki...@yahoo-inc.com>.

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

Posted by Daryn Sharp <da...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Posted by Daryn Sharp <da...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

Posted by Devaraj Das <dd...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Devaraj Das <dd...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Devaraj Das <dd...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Alejandro Abdelnur <tu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alejandro Abdelnur <tu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alejandro Abdelnur <tu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Alejandro Abdelnur <tu...@cloudera.com>.
Vinod,

Thanks for reviving this thread.

The current blockers are:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20in%20(hadoop%2C%20mapreduce%2C%20hdfs%2C%20yarn)%20and%20status%20in%20(open%2C%20'patch%20available')%20and%20priority%20%3D%20blocker%20and%20%22Target%20Version%2Fs%22%20%3D%20%222.1.0-beta%22

By looking at them I don't see they are necessary blockers for a beta
release.

* HADOOP-9688 & HADOOP-9698

  They definitely have to be addressed before a GA
  release.

* YARN-701

  It should be addressed before a GA release.

  Still, as it is this breaks unmanaged AMs and to me
  that would be a blocker for the beta.

  YARN-701 and the unmanaged AMs fix should be committed
  in tandem.

* YARN-918

  It is a consequence of YARN-701 and depends on it.

* YARN-926

  It would be nice to have it addressed before GA release.

We could do a beta with what we have at the moment in branch-2 and have a
special release note indicating API changes coming in the next beta/GA
release as part of YARN-918 & YARN-926.

IMO, we should move forward with the beta release with the current state.
Else we'll continue delaying it and adding more things that break/change
things.

Thanks.

Alejandro

On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 12:24 PM, Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <

--
Alejandro

Posted by Alejandro Abdelnur <tu...@cloudera.com>.
Vinod,

--
Alejandro

Posted by Alejandro Abdelnur <tu...@cloudera.com>.
Vinod,

--
Alejandro

Posted by Alejandro Abdelnur <tu...@cloudera.com>.
Vinod,

--
Alejandro

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Sandy Ryza <sa...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Sandy Ryza <sa...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Hitesh Shah <hi...@apache.org>.
Hi Arun,

From a YARN perspective, YARN-791 and YARN-727 are 2 jiras that may potentially change the apis. They can implemented in a backward compat fashion if committed after 2.1.0. However, this will require adding of differently-named apis ( different urls in case of the webservices ) and make the current version of the api deprecated and/or obsolete. YARN-818 which is currently patch available also changes behavior.

Posted by Tsuyoshi OZAWA <oz...@gmail.com>.
Hi Arun,

--
- Tsuyoshi

Posted by Hitesh Shah <hi...@apache.org>.
Hi Arun,

From a YARN perspective, YARN-791 and YARN-727 are 2 jiras that may potentially change the apis. They can implemented in a backward compat fashion if committed after 2.1.0. However, this will require adding of differently-named apis ( different urls in case of the webservices ) and make the current version of the api deprecated and/or obsolete. YARN-818 which is currently patch available also changes behavior.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.

Posted by Hitesh Shah <hi...@apache.org>.
Hi Arun,

From a YARN perspective, YARN-791 and YARN-727 are 2 jiras that may potentially change the apis. They can implemented in a backward compat fashion if committed after 2.1.0. However, this will require adding of differently-named apis ( different urls in case of the webservices ) and make the current version of the api deprecated and/or obsolete. YARN-818 which is currently patch available also changes behavior.

Posted by Ramya Sunil <ra...@hortonworks.com>.
-1.

Posted by Hitesh Shah <hi...@apache.org>.
Hi Arun,

From a YARN perspective, YARN-791 and YARN-727 are 2 jiras that may potentially change the apis. They can implemented in a backward compat fashion if committed after 2.1.0. However, this will require adding of differently-named apis ( different urls in case of the webservices ) and make the current version of the api deprecated and/or obsolete. YARN-818 which is currently patch available also changes behavior.

Posted by Ramya Sunil <ra...@hortonworks.com>.
-1.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.
On 26 June 2013 09:17, Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I've created a release candidate (rc0) for hadoop-2.1.0-beta that I would
> like to get released.
>
> This release represents a *huge* amount of work done by the community (639
> fixes) which includes several major advances including:
> # HDFS Snapshots
> # Windows support
> # YARN API stabilization
> # MapReduce Binary Compatibility with hadoop-1.x
> # Substantial amount of integration testing with rest of projects in the
> ecosystem
>
> The RC is available at:
> http://people.apache.org/~acmurthy/hadoop-2.1.0-beta-rc0/
> The RC tag in svn is here:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/tags/release-2.1.0-beta-rc0

I'm going to +1 here because
 -we should get the beta out and get feedback on it
 -once it is in the maven repositories, it is effectively released: the
artifacts are in the wild. Even if something with the same version name is
pushed out, maven won't update client machines that have pulled it down:
new artifacts with new versions need to go out.

Now, those maven artifacts don't come with complete Poms, meaning I can't
use them in my builds. The Jars come down, but without the POM files the
build breaks

[...]

As a result, I can't actually use it -I have to make my own 2.1.1-SNAPSHOT
release not because I want anything newer than the beta, but because those
missing POM files stop me coding against the beta.

I have to view this as a bug in the maven-based release process: somehow
the POM files didn't get published to the apache repos.

   1. We need to know what happened here so that the next beta can be used
   in downstream builds -and eventually, the final release. Because if those
   artifacts don't go up in a way that can be used in maven and ant/ivy
   builds, then I do consider it to be broken.
   2. That said, I'm not sure that artifacts go to the repo until vote
   time, precisely because it is impossible to revoke them once it's happened.
   If there is a way of doing a build of the release with the -SNAPSHOT tag,
   we could push it out to the apache snapshot repo and make sure it works
   there. That is, unless there is some different in -SNAPSHOT releases and
   non snapshot ones.

Arun,

   1. do you have the log of the bits of the build where the Maven
   artifacts were published?
   2. do you still have the POM files locally? If you do, we could try to
   publish them again.

Finally, who understands that step of the build that pushes the artifacts
to the apache release repo? Does it work for the 0.27.x and 0.20.20x
releases?

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.