Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Christian Schneider <cs...@gmail.com> on 2013/07/30 11:58:54 UTC

Using the bin/daemon.sh script on ubuntu.

Hi,
could someone point me to a good source how to use that (with ubuntu and
Tomcat 7)?

The internet is full of selfmade /etc/init.d/ scripts, but mostly it isn't
used it as a real service (jsvc). Keyword: bin/*daemon.sh*
Even the books "Apache Tomcat 7" and "Tomcat 7 Essentials" are not talking
about it.

On the docs I've found this [0]:

cd $CATALINA_HOME/bin
tar xvfz commons-daemon-native.tar.gz
cd commons-daemon-1.0.x-native-src/unix
./configure
make
cp jsvc ../..
cd ../..

But what about:
* set env. variables (maybe: catalina.sh?, /etc/profiles?)
* adjust the heap size
* logging to the right directory (like: /var/log/tomcat/...)
* specifying the User: "tomcat"

Best Regards,
Christian.

[0]: http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/setup.html#Unix_daemon

Re: Using the bin/daemon.sh script on ubuntu.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Christian,

> could someone point me to a good source how to use [bin/daemon.sh
> with ubuntu and Tomcat 7]?

The script can be used directly. Maybe you can clarify your question?

> The internet is full of selfmade /etc/init.d/ scripts, but mostly
> it isn't used it as a real service (jsvc). Keyword:
> bin/*daemon.sh* Even the books "Apache Tomcat 7" and "Tomcat 7
> Essentials" are not talking about it.
>
> On the docs I've found this [0]:
>
> cd $CATALINA_HOME/bin tar xvfz commons-daemon-native.tar.gz cd
> commons-daemon-1.0.x-native-src/unix ./configure make cp jsvc
> ../.. cd ../..

Good, you've built jsvc.

> But what about: * set env. variables (maybe: catalina.sh?,
> /etc/profiles?) * adjust the heap size * logging to the right
> directory (like: /var/log/tomcat/...) * specifying the User:
> "tomcat"

The script is fairly readable, though less-well documented than
bin/catalina.sh. Most of the environment variables recognized by
bin/catalina.sh are also recognized by bin/daemon.sh. For instance:

CATALINA_HOME
CATALINA_BASE
CATALINA_OPTS
CATALINA_PID
CATALINA_OUT
CATALINA_TMP (note: catalina.sh uses CATALINA_TMPDIR)
JAVA_ENDORSED_DIRS
JAVA_HOME
JAVA_OPTS
TOMCAT_USER

It also accepts these (undocumented, other than by reading the script
itself) command-line arguments with fairly obvious behavior:

    --java-home
    --catalina-home
    --catalina-base
    --catalina-pid
    --tomcat-user
    --service-start-wait-time (sets the "wait" time for jsvc)

Feel free to log an enhancement request for documenting daemon.sh: it
really should be documented as well as catalina.sh is (e.g. with
comments at the top of the script).

- -chris

RE: [OT] Using the bin/daemon.sh script on ubuntu.

Posted by Jeffrey Janner <Je...@PolyDyne.com>.

Well, I must admit my test was using an m4.xlarge with EBS-backed root, so my tests might have had some difference. I don't remember if I tested it with "shutdown -r" or "init 6", though I do remember doing a stop/start from the GUI (since that's probably what my backup folks here would end up doing).
BTW: If you set up your instance with an EBS-backed startup drive (or all useful drives), then you don't have to worry about all that AMI business, they can just mount your drives on another physical box.  Of course, at that point, the ephemeral drives are basically useless for anything other than temp/swap space. Makes one wonder why they are even offered, though I'm OK with using them for those purposes.
Jeff

Re: [OT] Using the bin/daemon.sh script on ubuntu.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Posted by Igor Cicimov <ic...@gmail.com>.
On 06/08/2013 12:40 AM, "Jeffrey Janner" <Je...@polydyne.com>
> > On 8/1/13 11:55 AM, Christian Schneider wrote:
> > > On our (AWS) installation we have limited space on /opt, therefore we
> > > attached an EBS volume  to /var/, - otherwise we would get problems
> > > with the log files. Now it can grow above some GB.
> >
> > Have you thought about using /mnt/ephemeral[0-9]?
> >
> > Our instances have ~1TiB in combined ephemeral storage available per
> > instance. I'm sure it depends upon the instance type, though. Remember
> > that terminating the instance loses the ephemeral data.. that's what
> > makes it ... ephemeral. Just remember to copy what you need back to an
> > EBS-backed storage volume before you terminate.
> >
> > - -chris
>
> Chris,
> If I remember my empirical testing of the AWS ephemeral storage system,
you actually lose data on shutdown, not termination.

Not true, the ephemeral data is only lost on instance termination.

> On my Linux boxes, I use the ephemeral storage for swap space because of
that issue, and really nothing else, though /tmp is a second possibility.
 The big thing about using it, for anything, is you have to code a special
startup script to format it at every boot, as it comes back as raw disk.
 Figuring out how to do that for swap was fun, but it's great now (I've got
loads of swap space that I'll probably never ever use.)

Posted by Jeffrey Janner <Je...@PolyDyne.com>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Using the bin/daemon.sh script on ubuntu.

Posted by Christian Schneider <cs...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the great responses.

@Ognjen: Yes, currently we also use the setenv.sh (because it will not be
touched by an update).
The *ln -s* Tipp is not bad.
But the problem is, it stores the files in the folder (/opt/tomcat/logs).

On our (AWS) installation we have limited space on /opt, therefore we
attached an EBS volume  to /var/, - otherwise we would get problems with
the log files. Now it can grow above some GB.

But because the log dirs are defined in the logging.properties (what get
shipped and overridden by updates) we put this "hack" into our setenv.sh:

sed -i 's/${catalina.base}\/logs/\/var\/log\/tomcat\//g'
\/opt\/tomcat\/conf\/logging.properties

This will replace the sting *${catalina.base}\/logs* with */var\/log\/tomcat
* everytime setenv.sh is executed.

Now we will never forget to touch the logging.properties after an update.
But i still think it is not that elegant...

Best Regards,
Christian.

Posted by Ognjen Blagojevic <og...@gmail.com>.
Christian,