Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Jun Inamori <ju...@oop-reserch.com> on 2001/09/18 20:29:12 UTC

Start up script

Hello,

Congratulations for the final release of Tomcat3.3 and 4.
Both of them are the products by the enthusiastic efforts by Costin, Craig and all the cool guys on this list.
I believe Tomcat will be (or already is) the de facto standard of Servlet/JSP server implementation.

By the way, I remember the discussion about how to start Tomcat as the user other than "root". It was August.
And, according to the discussion in these 2 or 3 days, the RPM distribution seems to include the start up script, which can be dispatched by RC system at the boot time.
As for RedHat or other Linux distribution, "daemon" function is defined by:
	/etc/init.d/functions
And I assume that the script depends on it.
But, as far as I know, such a function is not implemented on Solaris.
To make this kind of RC script available on also on Solaris or other UNIX-like systems, I wrote some simple one.
I tested it with Tomcat 3.2.3 on Linux, and works well.
Any questions and comments are welcome to me.

Best regards,
--

Happy Java programming!

Jun Inamori
OOP-Reserch
E-mail: jun@oop-reserch.com

Shinsenri-Kitamachi 2-24-7
Toyonaka city
Osaka 560-0081, Japan
TEL and FAX: 81-6-6873-7010

Re: Start up script

Posted by Jun Inamori <ju...@oop-reserch.com>.
Hello again,

> To make this kind of RC script available on also on Solaris
> or other UNIX-like systems, I wrote some simple one.
> I tested it with Tomcat 3.2.3 on Linux, and works well.

The trouble on RedHat 7.0 is reported to me.
"/etc/rc" on RedHat Linux sees if
     /var/lock/subsys/tomcat
exists, when the target script is KXXtomcat
And, only if this file exists, KXXtomcat will be invoked.
So, on RedHat, the script must create
     /var/lock/subsys/tomcat
at the start up time.
Otherwise, KXXtomcat will not be invoked at the shutdown.
I modified my previous script so that it can be used also on ReHat.

Best regards,
--

Happy Java programming!

Jun Inamori