Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by gschen <go...@yahoo.com.cn> on 2011/10/09 09:33:04 UTC

kfs and hdfs

Hi everyone,

I want to discuss a question and described as following:

what is the differences between hdfs and kfs(kosmos file system)?

Thanks in advance.

Re: kfs and hdfs

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 12:39 PM, Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
> Agree with Cos completely.

+1. Though our employers may spar on blog posts, as developers we
still get along pretty well for the most part. Let's keep it that way
:)

Back to work.

-Todd
--
Todd Lipcon
Software Engineer, Cloudera

RE: kfs and hdfs

Posted by "Segel, Mike" <ms...@navteq.com>.
Guys,
I'm sorry. I really couldn't resist. :-)

Yeah, Arun is right. I've given grief to a couple of vendors making claims about their products.
It was just too easy and well... it's a Monday so I hope everyone took my post with its intended humor value.

We now return you back to the original rant on distributed file systems.

-Mike

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.
Agree with Cos completely.

Re: kfs and hdfs

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
Mike,

RE: kfs and hdfs

Posted by "Segel, Mike" <ms...@navteq.com>.
Owen,

Re: kfs and hdfs

Posted by Owen O'Malley <ow...@hortonworks.com>.
Ted,

Re: kfs and hdfs

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
On 09/10/11 08:57, Ted Dunning wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 9, 2011 at 12:33 AM, gschen<go...@yahoo.com.cn>  wrote:
>

>> what is the differences between hdfs and kfs(kosmos file system)?
>>

> The biggest difference is that kfs is not very active (but not quite dead!)
> and hdfs has a pretty active development community.
>
> If you are looking for a file system that has all the virtues of kfs (fast
> implementation, fancier file semantics like update) as well as better
> performance than hdfs and some whacking cool things like snapshots and
> mirrors, check out MapR.  (I bet nobody knew I would say that)

I am going to start advocating FAT32. I think it is undervalued, cross
platform and now even supports both upper and lower case text in
filenames, filenames that can now be more than 8 chars long.

Re: kfs and hdfs

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@maprtech.com>.