Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com> on 2007/01/05 02:21:43 UTC

Re: Deploying multiple instances of OfBiz

Hi Torsten,

I was hoping to install 3 separate instances of OFBiz: 1 for development, 1 for production, and 1
for staging. All using different databases.

 From my initial prototyping, I can safely say I'll be able to use mod_jk to link to different
OFBiz instances. Simply have a single AJP <Connector> (default port 8009), and multiple virtual
hosts in Tomcat's server.xml. The virtual hosts in your Apache httpd.conf should correspond to the
virtual hosts in Tomcat's server.xml exactly.

(I had to use Apache's SSL to front OpenTaps because OpenTaps's SSL doesn't work out-of-box with
Firefox 2.0.)

As for hosting multiple instances of OFBiz on a single server for multiple customers, I don't
think that's very cost-effective. The hosting cost will be high, given that a single instance of
OFBiz can take up substantial amount of RAM. If you can sell each hosted instance for a high
enough price, your business model may work out.

Still, David is right (http://www.mail-archive.com/ofbiz-user@incubator.apache.org/msg02469.html).
OFBiz's main market consists of customers who will pay substantial sums to customize OFBiz. It'll
be hard to sell a "one size fits all" OFBiz to many customers. You can still try, but you'll need
to do a LOT of work determining "what size/color fits all", and cut OFBiz down to that size/color.
You want to cooperate on this?

OFBiz is certainly not built for cost-effective multi-hosting like Apache (virtual host concept).
A single instance of OFBiz cannot serve more than 1 customer/site/domain. But someone's idea of
getting OFBiz to listen for which customer's database to connect to will work, provided we put in
the effort to rewire OFBiz. Your best bet for now is still to use multiple instances of OFBiz.

Use a separate database for each customer at first. Safer. Then slowly move your development
towards consolidation into a single OFBiz instance, still using multiple databases. Finally, move
towards the single database consolidation.

Obviously, OFBiz was not meant to be hosted for multiple customers. Wasn't built that way from
ground up.

IMO, I do believe that it is possible to rewire OFBiz for your multi-customer business model. I
just completed a product that does just that: use very little resource overhead to cater to
thousands of customers. But I built the framework for such multiplicity from ground up.

If you want to host OFBiz that way, it really is up to your own initiative to rewire OFBiz for ASP
model. We could start a new initiative to say ASP-enable OFBiz.

Jonathon