Posted to dev@mxnet.apache.org by Joe Evans <jo...@gmail.com> on 2021/02/16 02:33:32 UTC

[Proposal] Change to release process

Hi dev community,

Currently, when MXNet creates a new release, we manually create the source
archives using commands in the release runbook here:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MXNET/Release+Process#ReleaseProcess-Step1.10.Createartifactsforthereleaseandpushtothedistfolder

Based on feedback from Apache, there are a few non-Apache 2.0 licenses
files that we should not distribute in the source archives, or explicitly
call them out in the LICENSE file. The following files were identified as
non-AL2:

3rdparty/mkldnn/doc/assets/fonts/fontawesome-webfont*
3rdparty/mkldnn/doc/assets/fonts/lato*
3rdparty/mkldnn/doc/assets/mathjax/fonts/HTML-CSS/Asana-Math/otf*
3rdparty/mkldnn/doc/assets/mathjax/fonts/HTML-CSS/*/*/MathJax*
docs/python_docs/themes/mx-theme/mxtheme/static/material-design-icons-3.0.1/iconfont/*
docs/python_docs/themes/mx-theme/mxtheme/static/webfonts/fa-solid*

I believe we can simply remove the entire 3rdparty/mkldnn/doc/assets
directory for mkldnn and not include it in our source archive. The
mxtheme has already been removed from the source tree (and replaced by
doing a pip install of the mx-theme package instead) by @szha.

I propose we automate this step of the release runbook by creating a script
in the repo that checks out the passed tag, removes any problematic files
that we can not distribute, and perform a apache-rat license check to
ensure our source archive is compliant. Does anyone have any input or
suggestions?

Thanks,
Joe

Re: [Proposal] Change to release process

Posted by Aaron Markham <aa...@gmail.com>.
Sheng,
Here's one where the footer and the right side menus were overlapping:

More UX fixes:

The feedback widget was customized:

The above were driven mostly by Yang Shi and Connor Goggins before him.
They'd recall even more, but we can see in the edit history of the files.
When we first launched the new site & CI flow, Thomas Delteil might have
made additional edits, but I'm thinking these can be captured by looking at
what's in the folder and seeing that these html files are customized:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/tree/master/docs/python_docs/themes/mx-theme/mxtheme
Ideally the theme would support Sphinx configs like "html_theme_options"
where we could point to custom html files, but this isn't documented in the
mxtheme package. There are some config options set in conf.py, so I'm
inclined to believe it would.

All said, there's a lot of work to be done just to deal with font licenses.
Why not just swap out the fonts?

Posted by sandeep krishnamurthy <sa...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Joe.

--
Sandeep Krishnamurthy

Re: [Proposal] Change to release process

Posted by Sheng Zha <zh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Aaron Markham <aa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marco de Abreu <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chaitanya Bapat <ch...@gmail.com>.