Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Ahmed Al-Saghir <ah...@outlook.com> on 2020/08/12 12:59:22 UTC

Documentation suggestion / issue and question about ticket openning

Dears kafka team,
                Kindly not that Kafka documentation navigation is pretty hard to the eyes and exhausting. Once I'm on section or reading configuration, I can't know what section I'm currently looking at or under what category. This is very annoying and very hard. For example

https://kafka.apache.org/documentation/#offset.flush.timeout.ms

Once you open that URL, would you able to tell me exactly what navigation steps to follow to access offset.flush.timeout.ms directly ? What section this configuration is under ? Consumer, Producer or Broker ? Please allow easier documentation navigation for sake of easiness and usability of users.

I'm not sure if this is categorized as suggestion or issue so how or what to do and to open ticket with it. Sorry for my English. Please guide me if there is steps to take to report this.

Thank you

Ahmed Al-Saghir

Re: Documentation suggestion / issue and question about ticket openning

Posted by Tom Bentley <tb...@redhat.com>.
Hi Ahmed,

I have an open PR (https://github.com/apache/kafka/pull/8878) which,
although far from being a perfect solution, would be of _some_ help. Some
configs are common between broker, producer and consumer and right now it's
not possible to link directly to, say, the consumer one because the ids are
duplicated, which can be confusing. The PR adds unique ids using a
per-section prefix, so you'll be able to see the section from the fragment
part of the URL (assuming your browser shows you the URL). Hopefully a more
visual solution can be found (whether as part of the redesign or not).

Kind regards,

Tom

Posted by John Roesler <vv...@apache.org>.
Hello Ahmed,