Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Heligon Sandra <sa...@nextream.fr> on 2002/12/05 09:56:09 UTC

Access/manage local file system

	Sorry,

	To post a similar message to my first mail but I have to give a
response this week,
	and I don't have any solution to my problem.
	I would like to know if it possible through a web browser to
access/manage local file systems
	(create a file, display content of directories...). I need to store
data in a file, each file is specific to each client
	and I thing that these files don't have to be sent to the server.
	I would like to know if Struts(view components) offer solution for
this function ?
	If not I would like to know where I could find more information
about this point and JSP
	pages that allow to manage file system (files, directories...).

	I hope that someone could help me.
	Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: Access/manage local file system

Posted by micael <ca...@harbornet.com>.
You know, Mark, if he is talking about accessing files on the local system
via a foreign server that still can be done.  Silly, but it can be
done.  There are circumstances, however, where it would not be
silly.  Those circumstances are when you want to modify files on client A
from a browser on client B via an http server on machine C, which is on
neither client.  I actually am in the middle of a project that involves
such functionality.  The project is a hoot.  But, if you want merely to
modify files on client A from client A, poof, no problem. Micael

At 10:21 PM 12/5/2002 +0100, you wrote:
> [...]
>
>I just hope the original question was about doing stuff on the server i.e
>local = server.. And i was being silly..
>
>mark
>

>On 5-12-2002 22:13, "micael" <ca...@harbornet.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi, Mark.
> >
> > I don't know what you mean by "I understand the downloading a server
> > concept".  You mean downloading from a server?
> >
> > Let me start over.
> >
> > The question that was sent was ambiguous.  We know he wanted the client to
> > manage files via a browser.  But, we did not know if he meant files on a
> > server or files on the client.
> >
> > We all know how to do that on the server, I think.  That is easy.  So, I
> > assumed that was not the problem.
> >
> > But, we may get stuck when trying to manage files on the client with a
> > browser.  We can manage files on the client with a browser by putting a
> > server on the client, and then accessing that server.  That was the
> > answer.  The interface for interaction with a file system and the browser
> > is via a server.  So, if you want to manage files on the client with a
> > browser, build a little (or a big) server.  Heck, download tomcat and use
> > that, even if that would be overkill.
> >
> > Are we on the same wavelength?
> >
> > Micael
> >
> > At 09:40 PM 12/5/2002 +0100, you wrote:
> >> micael
> >>
> >> Could you provide an example of how you'd going about such a task?
> >>
> >> I understand the downloading a server concept, but would the user have to
> >> choose to download something and give permission to achieve access to the
> >> client machine in such a way? Downloading and running it on the client,
> >> isn't that different to interacting with a webapplication on the server?
> >>
> >> Many thanks in advance
> >>
> >> mark

> mean

> hope my
> >> server

> >> to do

> >> e-mail:   <ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
> >> <ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

> sent as
> prohibited.  If you
> message.  Thank

> >> e-mail:   <ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
> >> <ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
> >>>

> >> --
> e-mail:   <ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
> >> For additional commands, e-mail:
> <ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
> >
> > Micael

> > This electronic mail  transmission and any accompanying documents contain
> > information belonging to the sender which may be confidential and legally
> > privileged.  This information is intended only for the use of the
> > individual or entity to whom this electronic mail transmission was sent as
> > indicated above. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure,
> > copying, distribution, or action taken in reliance on the contents of the
> > information contained in this transmission is strictly prohibited.  If you
> > have received this transmission in error, please delete the message.  Thank

Micael

Posted by Mark <ma...@libero.it>.
Micael

Posted by micael <ca...@harbornet.com>.
Hi, Mark.

> [...]

> >> e-mail:   <ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
> >> <ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
> >>>

> >> --
> e-mail:   <ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
> >> For additional commands, e-mail:
> <ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
> >
> > Micael

> > This electronic mail  transmission and any accompanying documents contain
> > information belonging to the sender which may be confidential and legally
> > privileged.  This information is intended only for the use of the
> > individual or entity to whom this electronic mail transmission was sent as
> > indicated above. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure,
> > copying, distribution, or action taken in reliance on the contents of the
> > information contained in this transmission is strictly prohibited.  If you
> > have received this transmission in error, please delete the message.  Thank

Micael

Posted by Mark <ma...@libero.it>.
micael

Posted by micael <ca...@harbornet.com>.
The answer is definitely yes if you mean files on the server.  If you mean
files on the client, the answer is still yes.  You just build a little
server on the client for the browser and use localhost or your localhosts
ip address.  So, either way, the answer is yes.

At 10:51 AM 12/5/2002 +0100, you wrote:
>By 'local' do you mean the client's machine?
>
>If so any restictions are the bane of the webbrowser, personally i hope my
>browser wouldn't permit such action. Can't you mess with stuff on the server
>and then offer a download of the results?
>
>The actual controling of files on the client machine would have little to do
>with the jsp, you'd be looking at technologies supported by the browser
>(plugin or otherwise)...
>
>Hopefully i haven't misunderstood your question..
>
>Thanks mark
>
>On 5-12-2002 9:56, "Heligon Sandra" <sa...@nextream.fr> wrote:
>

> > Sorry,
> >
> > To post a similar message to my first mail but I have to give a
> > response this week,
> > and I don't have any solution to my problem.
> > I would like to know if it possible through a web browser to
> > access/manage local file systems
> > (create a file, display content of directories...). I need to store
> > data in a file, each file is specific to each client
> > and I thing that these files don't have to be sent to the server.
> > I would like to know if Struts(view components) offer solution for
> > this function ?
> > If not I would like to know where I could find more information
> > about this point and JSP
> > pages that allow to manage file system (files, directories...).
> >
> > I hope that someone could help me.
> > Thanks a lot in advance.
> >
> > --
> e-mail:   <ma...@jakarta.apache.org>