Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com> on 2005/03/18 13:06:59 UTC

Re: FW: Struts Being Page Centric??

Moving  thread to DEV ....

If you snag Spring.Web from CVS, you'll find that it does all that,
but in a page-centric way.  It will populate a business delegate for
you, and then all your event handle has to do is call the appropriate
method. (Essentially, Spring.Web provides the "managed beans" that JSF
has but ASP.NET lacks. ) You might want to think of the event handlers
as if they were methods of a DispatchAction. If you need to go off to
some other page, there is a "Result" method that works just like an
ActionForward. The events (DispatchAction methods) fire long before
the page renders, so you can forward (or "transfer") with impunity.

It's cool that Spring.Web does this, but it is starting to seem silly
that each of these frameworks has to reinvent the same wheel. I've
been working on an Application Controller framework, based on Struts
and CoR, that pushes most of the rigamorale away from the presentation
layer and into the control layer, so that it can be shared by various
presentation layers. Struts would call the Controller from an Action,
JSF would call it from a backing bean, ASPX would call it from a
code-behind.

It will still be another week before I can post anything (the ASF
repositories are down for maintenance this weekend). But, this
controller doesn't conflict with what Spring.Web is doing, and you
would want to use Spring.NET for an IOC container anyway. So snag the
CVS version of Spring.Web, and have yourself some fun. :)

-Ted.