Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com> on 2006/09/04 09:22:51 UTC

Re: Running ActiveMQ under kaffe

On 8/28/06, rubyfan <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is it possible to run ActiveMQ using the kaffe VM and libs (open source java
> vm and libs http://www.kaffe.org/)?

I've no idea - try it and see :)

> Does anyone happen to have a script which is equivilent to the bin/activemq
> script which uses kaffe instead of Sun's java?

No - though the script should work with any JVM. Just set JAVACMD to
be whatever the command is to run 'java'

--

James
-------

Re: Running ActiveMQ under kaffe

Posted by rubyfan <ph...@gmail.com>.
I just tried removing activemq-data as per your recommendation, but it didn't
seem to change anything:

$ ./activemq
ACTIVEMQ_OPTS IS -Xmx512M -Dorg.apache.activemq.UseDedicatedTaskRunner=true
-Dderby.system.home=../data -Dderby.storage.fileSyncTransactionLog=true
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote
JAVACMD is:  /usr/local/kaffe//bin/java
ACTIVEMQ_HOME: /home/patomson/devel/incubator-activemq-4.0.1
Created MBeanServer with ID: [UID:
115716964,1157566973594,-32768]:phpe-dev-10:1
INFO  BrokerService                  - ActiveMQ 4.0.1 JMS Message Broker
(localhost) is starting
INFO  BrokerService                  - For help or more information please
see: http://incubator.apache.org/activemq/
WARN  ManagementContext              - Failed to start jmx connector:
javax.naming.NoInitialContextException: Can't find property:
java.naming.factory.initial
INFO  JDBCPersistenceAdapter         - Database driver recognized:
[apache_derby_embedded_jdbc_driver]
INFO  JournalPersistenceAdapter      - Journal Recovery Started from: Active
Journal: using 5 x 20.0 Megs at:
/home/patomson/devel/incubator-activemq-4.0.1/activemq-data/journal
kaffe-bin: gc-incremental.c:1311: gcFree: Assertion `!!!"Attempt to
explicitly free nonfixed object"' failed.
Aborted

Phil

Posted by Adrian Co <ac...@exist.com>.
It should go in the activemq.xml config file.

Posted by rubyfan <ph...@gmail.com>.
Oh, got it.  It should go into the conf/activemq.xml file.

thanks.

Posted by rubyfan <ph...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
Thanks for working through this with us.  I've upated the HOWTO entry:
http://activemq.com/site/how-do-i-run-activemq-under-the-kaffe-jvm.html

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Re: Running ActiveMQ under kaffe

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
Not a serious problem.  Everything should work ok.

On 9/8/06, rubyfan <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> >> Reason:
> >> creating
> >> class
> >> creating
> >> class

> >> class="org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDataSource">

> >> just

> >> activemq-data/

> >> Message

> >> information

> >> recognized:

> >> /home/patomson/devel/incubator-activemq-4.0.1/activemq-data/journal

> >> encountering?

> >> hope

> >> the

> >> http://www.nabble.com/Running-ActiveMQ-under-kaffe-tf2180373.html#a6176300

> >> http://www.nabble.com/Running-ActiveMQ-under-kaffe-tf2180373.html#a6194433

> >> --
> >> Sent from the ActiveMQ - User forum at Nabble.com.

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Re: Running ActiveMQ under kaffe

Posted by rubyfan <ph...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
Ok.. try this:

> [...]

> >> exception is java.net.SocketException: Unknown socket option
> >> ERROR: java.lang.Exception:
> >> org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating
> >> bean
> >> with name 'org.apache.activemq.xbean.XBeanBrokerService' defined in class
> >> path resource [activemq.xml]: Initialization of bean failed; nested
> >> exception is java.net.SocketException: Unknown socket option

> >> set

> >> liking.

> >> that

> >> connector:
> >> from:

> >> does

> >> (open

> >> JAVACMD

> >> http://www.nabble.com/Running-ActiveMQ-under-kaffe-tf2180373.html#a6176300

> >> --
> >> Sent from the ActiveMQ - User forum at Nabble.com.

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Re: Running ActiveMQ under kaffe

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
ActiveMQ only uses Multicast for discovery when establishing peer
networks or when establishing broker to broker networks.

Those networks can also be established using static configurations of
the networks.  So ActiveMQ is still very usefull without Multicast.

On 9/7/06, rubyfan <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Here's the activemq.xml included below (BTW: how useful is ActiveMQ without
> multicast?)
>
> activemq.xml:

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Re: Running ActiveMQ under kaffe

Posted by rubyfan <ph...@gmail.com>.

Posted by rubyfan <ph...@gmail.com>.
kaffe version info: Engine: Interpreter   Version: 1.1.7   Java Version: 1.4

OS & version: Linux dev-10 2.6.13-15.8-smp #1 SMP Tue Feb 7 11:07:24 UTC
2006 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
(Suse 10.0)

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
BTW..

> [...]

> > >     <persistenceAdapter>
> > >        <jdbcPersistenceAdapter dataSource="#derby-ds"/>
> > >     </persistenceAdapter>

> > >   <bean id="derby-ds" class="org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDataSource">
> > >     <property name="databaseName" value="derbydb"/>
> > >     <property name="createDatabase" value="create"/>
> > >   </bean>
> > >
> > > Or better yet, if you're using the default journal-jdbc adapter, just set
> > > useJournal to false:
> > >
> > >     <persistenceAdapter>
> > >        <journaledJDBC journalLogFiles="4" journalLogFileSize="32768"
> > > useJournal="false" dataSource="#derby-ds"
> > > dataDirectory="target/defaultBroker-data"/>
> > >     </persistenceAdapter>
> > >

> > > Regards,
> > > Adrian Co

> > --
> > Sent from the ActiveMQ - User forum at Nabble.com.

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Re: Running ActiveMQ under kaffe

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
> [...]

> >     <persistenceAdapter>
> >        <jdbcPersistenceAdapter dataSource="#derby-ds"/>
> >     </persistenceAdapter>

> >   <bean id="derby-ds" class="org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDataSource">
> >     <property name="databaseName" value="derbydb"/>
> >     <property name="createDatabase" value="create"/>
> >   </bean>
> >
> > Or better yet, if you're using the default journal-jdbc adapter, just set
> > useJournal to false:
> >
> >     <persistenceAdapter>
> >        <journaledJDBC journalLogFiles="4" journalLogFileSize="32768"
> > useJournal="false" dataSource="#derby-ds"
> > dataDirectory="target/defaultBroker-data"/>
> >     </persistenceAdapter>
> >

> > Regards,
> > Adrian Co
> >
> > rubyfan wrote:
> >> How does one go about "disabling the journal" ?

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Re: Running ActiveMQ under kaffe

Posted by rubyfan <ph...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adrian Co <ac...@exist.com>.
Hi,

Posted by rubyfan <ph...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by rubyfan <ph...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adrian Co <ac...@exist.com>.

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
Given that both the broker and the client work great under IKVM, i'd
have thought it works great under gcj - though not sure about gij

Posted by rubyfan <ph...@gmail.com>.