Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "richard@buzzhost.co.uk" <ri...@buzzhost.co.uk> on 2009/06/19 12:52:56 UTC

[SA SPAM 1.4 ] Re: New www.medsXX.net spam

On Fri, 2009-06-19 at 11:24 +0200, Paweł Tęcza wrote:
> Hello People,
>
> It's a new spam we have been getting for a few hours. It's very short,
> with random subject and body. The constant element is domain address
> like "(www	 meds35	 net)" or "(www  meds88  net)".
>
> Below are a few samples:
>
> http://pastebin.com/m5988eed
> http://pastebin.com/m5835257
> http://pastebin.com/m11b07539
>
> Have a nice day,
>
> P.

Seen a few myself but had to dig them out of the bin as I have a filter
before SA blocking dynamic ADSL clients:

dynamic-adsl-94-38-33-2.clienti.tiscali.it [94.38.33.2]

Re: [SA SPAM 1.4 ] Re: New www.medsXX.net spam

Posted by Paweł Tęcza <pt...@uw.edu.pl>.
Randal, Phil pisze:
> Paweł Tęcza wrote:

>> What's the rule for deliberately misspelled words?
>>
>> My best regards,
>>
>> Pawel
>
> In this country, at least, "misspelled" belongs in that list of misspelt words.
>
> Oh, don't we all love American English?  *grin*

Hi Phil,

It's funny, isn't? :)

Sorry, if it was hurting for your pure British English ;) Simply my
typing was faster than my thinking :D

Have a nice weekend!

P.

Re: [SA SPAM 1.4 ] Re: New www.medsXX.net spam

Posted by mouss <mo...@ml.netoyen.net>.
Randal, Phil a écrit :
> Paweł Tęcza wrote:
>> Martin Gregorie pisze:

>>> These are easy to trap.
>> Hello Martin,
>>
>> I have my own rule to catch that spam too :)
>>
>>> I added a match rule for that type of munged web address to my rule
>>> that lists pill shop names (pharmacy, apothecary,...) and used a meta
>>> to combine that with another rule that lists deliberately misspelled
>>> words that can occur in Subject or body.
>> What's the rule for deliberately misspelled words?
>>
>> My best regards,
>>
>> Pawel
>
> In this country, at least, "misspelled" belongs in that list of misspelt words.
>
> Oh, don't we all love American English?  *grin*

http://www.askoxford.com/betterwriting/spelling/?view=uk

notice the title. (and also the entry for "misspell).

or are these american guys behind askoxford.com?

Posted by RW <rw...@googlemail.com>.
On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 14:19:11 +0100
"Randal, Phil" <pr...@herefordshire.gov.uk> wrote:

> In this country, at least, "misspelled" belongs in that list of
> misspelt words.

It doesn't, either is fine. It's just that in British English they're
both pronounced as misspelt.   Misspelled is only an Americanism if
it's pronounced the way it's spelled.

RE: [SA SPAM 1.4 ] Re: New www.medsXX.net spam

Posted by "Randal, Phil" <pr...@herefordshire.gov.uk>.

--
Phil Randal | Networks Engineer
Herefordshire Council | Deputy Chief Executive's Office | I.C.T.

Any opinion expressed in this e-mail or any attached files are those of
the individual and not necessarily those of Herefordshire Council.

This e-mail and any attached files are confidential and intended solely
for the use of the addressee. This communication may contain material
protected by law from being passed on. If you are not the intended
recipient and have received this e-mail in error, you are advised that
any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail
is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error
please contact the sender immediately and destroy all copies of it.

Re: [SA SPAM 1.4 ] Re: New www.medsXX.net spam

Posted by Paweł Tęcza <pt...@uw.edu.pl>.

Posted by Martin Gregorie <ma...@gregorie.org>.
On Fri, 2009-06-19 at 11:52 +0100, richard@buzzhost.co.uk wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-06-19 at 11:24 +0200, Paweł Tęcza wrote:
> > Hello People,
> >
> > It's a new spam we have been getting for a few hours. It's very short,
> > with random subject and body. The constant element is domain address
> > like "(www	 meds35	 net)" or "(www  meds88  net)".

These are easy to trap.

I added a match rule for that type of munged web address to my rule that
lists pill shop names (pharmacy, apothecary,...) and used a meta to
combine that with another rule that lists deliberately misspelled words
that can occur in Subject or body.

Martin