Posted to users@camel.apache.org by gbchriste <ga...@gmail.com> on 2015/12/10 16:10:32 UTC

The Camel Name - Just A Thought

Section 1.1 of Camel In Action says, "The Apache Camel project was named
Camel simply because the name is short and easy to remember."

But here's a thought.  When you think about it, the name "Camel" is so
appropriate to the notion of what Camel does that you'd think the name was
chosen on purpose.  Even the picture of the Bedouin fits.

For the nomadic, desert-dwelling people of ages past, the camel was the key
method of transport, and was essential to creating and maintaining the lines
of communication that connected distant communities.  Individuals, families,
trade goods of all kinds, and messages were all carried back and forth by
caravans of camels.

Re: The Camel Name - Just A Thought

Posted by "Preben.Asmussen" <pr...@dr.dk>.
yeah - but donkeys seems to have friends in high places.

I just got slides from latest Gartner conference with reference product
slides
snippet from slides ->

API Manager:
  – Apigee
  – TIBCO (Mashery)

API Gateway:
  – CA (Layer 7)
  – Axway (Vordel)

ESB Suite:
  – Oracle SOA Suite
  – Software AG WebMethods

iPaaS:
  – MuleSoft Cloud
  – Dell Boomi

A whole lot of expensive, hard to operate donkey software.

Re: The Camel Name - Just A Thought

Posted by Henryk Konsek <he...@gmail.com>.
Whoever is the smoker you refer to, he has great taste in cigarettes. I
also used to be chain-smokers of Camels several years ago ;) .

Cheers!

czw., 10.12.2015 o 16:48 użytkownik Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>

Henryk Konsek
http://about.me/hekonsek

Re: The Camel Name - Just A Thought

Posted by Donald Whytock <dw...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 10:47 AM, Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 4:39 PM, Raul Kripalani <ra...@apache.org> wrote:
> > I would also venture a guess that the name Camel has something to do with
> > another platform called Mule back in 2006-2007 :)
> >

> Only one person really knows. And he was smooking cigarettes back then ;)
> But yeah a Camel is the strongest of all the beast of burdens. Mules
> are dumb ass donkeys.

Not to mention incapable of reproduction.  Whereas Camel's still producing
new releases.

Re: The Camel Name - Just A Thought

Posted by Mark Frazier <mm...@me.com>.
Point, Set, and Match: Claus.

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Raul Kripalani <ra...@apache.org>.

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Yeah and there is some other reasons here
http://camel.apache.org/why-the-name-camel.html

On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 4:10 PM, gbchriste <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Section 1.1 of Camel In Action says, "The Apache Camel project was named
> Camel simply because the name is short and easy to remember."
>
> But here's a thought.  When you think about it, the name "Camel" is so
> appropriate to the notion of what Camel does that you'd think the name was
> chosen on purpose.  Even the picture of the Bedouin fits.
>
> For the nomadic, desert-dwelling people of ages past, the camel was the key
> method of transport, and was essential to creating and maintaining the lines
> of communication that connected distant communities.  Individuals, families,
> trade goods of all kinds, and messages were all carried back and forth by
> caravans of camels.

Claus Ibsen
http://davsclaus.com @davsclaus