Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Stuart Gall <st...@otenet.gr> on 2005/08/21 12:56:03 UTC

[users@httpd] Strange problem with Options +Indexes

Hello,
As I understand it <Location something>
and <Directory something>
are equivalent except Location refers from the Document root

So I have apache 2.0.50 installed on Mandrake
In one of my virtual hosts I have

         <Location />
                 Allow from all
         </Location>

         <Location /ppm/storyboard>
                 Options +Indexes
                 Allow from all				**
         </Location>

When I go to this location with a web browser I see the directory index
but with no files UNLESS
I also include

         <Directory /document root>
                 Allow from all
         </Directory>

I do not see any files listed.

Why do I need the double Allow from all ??
Or more interestingly if access to the location is denied why dont I
get a forbidden message instead of an empty listing ?

** Probably not necessary but I added this before I tried the Directory
Allow from all directive

TIA

Stuart Gall
Systems Administrator

Re: [users@httpd] Strange problem with Options +Indexes

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
* Joshua Slive wrote:

> On 8/22/05, Stuart Gall <st...@otenet.gr> wrote:
> > > I haven't tested this myself, but my guess is that mod_autoindex
> > > (which generates the directory listings) is doing a file-level
> > > sub-request on each entry in the directory to see if it is
> > > accessible. For some reason this sub-request is not processing the
> > > <Location> sections, only the <Directory> sections.
> >
> > Makes sense.
> > A bug then, or perhaps a security feature?
>
> I think its a bug, but I'm not sure.

mod_autoindex does file based subrequests, which skip <Location> containers,
because <Location> doesn't work with files.

nd
--
Winnetous Erbe: <http://pub.perlig.de/books.html#apache2>

Re: [users@httpd] Strange problem with Options +Indexes

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Joshua Slive wrote:
> On 8/22/05, Stuart Gall <st...@otenet.gr> wrote:
>
>>>I haven't tested this myself, but my guess is that mod_autoindex
>>>(which generates the directory listings) is doing a file-level
>>>sub-request on each entry in the directory to see if it is accessible.
>>> For some reason this sub-request is not processing the <Location>
>>>sections, only the <Directory> sections.
>>
>>Makes sense.
>>A bug then, or perhaps a security feature?
>
> I think its a bug, but I'm not sure.

Well, it is a security feature to subrequest each of the files.  Because
this is using a very optimized file subdir lookup, the full <Location>
tree might not be parsed.

It sounds like it could be a bug; but at the same time, you've hit on an
edge case which should be a reminder to never mix <Location >'s when you
really mean to call out either <Files > or <Directory >'s.

Bill

Re: [users@httpd] Strange problem with Options +Indexes

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On 8/22/05, Stuart Gall <st...@otenet.gr> wrote:
> > I haven't tested this myself, but my guess is that mod_autoindex
> > (which generates the directory listings) is doing a file-level
> > sub-request on each entry in the directory to see if it is accessible.
> >  For some reason this sub-request is not processing the <Location>
> > sections, only the <Directory> sections.
>
> Makes sense.
> A bug then, or perhaps a security feature?

I think its a bug, but I'm not sure.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] Strange problem with Options +Indexes

Posted by Stuart Gall <st...@otenet.gr>.
On 21 Aug 2005, at 17:39, Joshua Slive wrote:

>> So I have apache 2.0.50 installed on Mandrake
>
> A little bit of an old version.

OK It comes with mandrake 10.1 and I am a bit lazy :-)
The latest version is 2.0.54 and
http://ftp.physics.auth.gr/pub/mirrors/apache/httpd/CHANGES_2.0
doesn't mention anything relevant (AFAICS) between .50 and .54

Perhaps Ill upgrade and see.

>> In one of my virtual hosts I have
>>
>>         <Location />
>>                 Allow from all
>>         </Location>
>>
>>         <Location /ppm/storyboard>
>>                 Options +Indexes
>>                 Allow from all                         **
>>         </Location>
>>
>> When I go to this location with a web browser I see the directory
>> but with no files UNLESS
>> I also include
>>
>>         <Directory /document root>
>>                 Allow from all
>>         </Directory>
>>
>> I do not see any files listed.
>>
>> Why do I need the double Allow from all ??
>> Or more interestingly if access to the location is denied why dont I
>> get a forbidden message instead of an empty listing ?
>
> Interesting.  If you request the files inside the directory directly,
> does it work?

Yes you can access the files. Accessing the files of course has nothing
to do with mod_autoindex.
It is as if the execute right is removed from the directory.

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On 8/21/05, Stuart Gall <st...@otenet.gr> wrote:
> Hello,
> As I understand it <Location something>
> and <Directory something>
> are equivalent except Location refers from the Document root

That's a gross (and potentially dangerous) oversimplification.  See:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/sections.html#file-and-web
for the true difference.