Posted to dev@zeppelin.apache.org by "Alex B." <ab...@nflabs.com> on 2015/03/25 02:47:28 UTC

Re: Project GH issue-tracker transition to ASF JIRA

Updates on Zeppelin GH->ASF JIRA issue tracker migration:

we are ready to do it now!

Current plan is to use Robert's
https://github.com/rmetzger/scratch/tree/github2jira

The only question so far is the ASF JIRA credentials for a user which will
be a "Reporter" of all migrated issues.
We could either use one of the PPMCs or some kind of "system" level user.

Another seems to be controversial matter is the notification on issue
creation (~500 emails will be created).
I have contacted INFRA on HipChat before, to ask if that's possible to mute
notification and was told that it's not preferable way and we should keep
notifications as those emails  supposed to be part of the mailing list
archive under ASF.

Any advice from mentors\more experience folks on the matter is warmly
welcome!
In case there's non, I assume lazy consensus and going to proceed with the
plan from above, with one of the PPMCs JIRA accounts if nobody objects in the
next 24 hours.

Thanks in advance,
Alex.

On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 10:26 AM, Alex B. <bz...@apache.org> wrote:

> Current plan on Subj is to do it as a last step of whole migration process:
> right after source code is moved to ASF Git and Github mirror is created.
>
> FYI: sign-up is disabled now on old project JIRA
> https://zeppelin-project.atlassian.net and as soon as issues are migrated
> think we will add a notice like
> https://spark-project.atlassian.net/browse/SPARK and send email
> notification to all registered users there
>
> On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 12:42 AM, Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 12:33 AM, Alex B. <bz...@apache.org> wrote:
> > > Can somebody who have access please help me to add a new JIRA user i.e
> > > "github-import"?
> > > Or advice on the other ways to make it happen.
> >
> > There's a hadoopqa account that virtually every single
> > project in Hadoop ecosystem used to do that sort of
> > thing. I can communicate creds off-list.
> >
> > > Is going to be ~270 emails :)
> >
> > Not neccesserily a lot of times JIRA has an 'silent'
> > option for bulk updates. I know for a fact that's how
> > it works via UI, but pretty sure it should be REST
> > option as well.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Roman.

Kind regards,
Alexander.

Re: Project GH issue-tracker transition to ASF JIRA

Posted by moon soo Lee <mo...@apache.org>.
If we can use some kind of system user, that would be better. But i'm
totally fine with using one of PPMC account.

Thanks,
moon

Posted by Alexander Bezzubov <bz...@apache.org>.
Adding David back to the discussion.

David, we would appreciate your advice, couple of questions are in prev.
message below.
Thank you!

Posted by "Alex B." <ab...@nflabs.com>.
Hi David,

thank you for the suggestion, I looked it up here
https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Importing+Data+from+Github

Could you please share some details on your experience with this tool? What
kind of coordination does it require?

It mentioned "Log in to JIRA as a user with the JIRA Administrators global
permission." and after couple of attempts it seems to me that project admin
rights in JIRA is not enough to make it work.
Or am I missing something?

If it requires an INFRA issue - could you please point to an examples?

Thanks in advance.

On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 6:51 AM, David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us> wrote:

> Jira has a GH migration tool built in - and we've used that a number
> of times recently. It requires some coordination, and isn't perfect,
> but it works.
>
> --David
>
> On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 6:44 PM, Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
> wrote:
> > +Andrew and David (who may know how this is being done recently)
> >
> > On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 6:47 PM, Alex B. <ab...@nflabs.com> wrote:
> >> Updates on Zeppelin GH->ASF JIRA issue tracker migration:
> >>
> >> we are ready to do it now!
> >>
> >> Current plan is to use Robert's
> >> https://github.com/rmetzger/scratch/tree/github2jira
> >>
> >> The only question so far is the ASF JIRA credentials for a user which
> will
> >> be a "Reporter" of all migrated issues.
> >> We could either use one of the PPMCs or some kind of "system" level
> user.
> >
> > A few years ago I was using hadoopqa user account to transition
> > a project from GH issues to JIRA.
> >
> > Andrew, David, what is considered best practice these days?
> >
> >> Another seems to be controversial matter is the notification on issue
> >> creation (~500 emails will be created).
> >> I have contacted INFRA on HipChat before, to ask if that's possible to
> mute
> >> notification and was told that it's not preferable way and we should
> keep
> >> notifications as those emails  supposed to be part of the mailing list
> >> archive under ASF.
> >
> > Personally -- I don't really care that much as long as these issues all
> go
> > to a dedicated email address that I can easily filter out.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Roman.

Kind regards,
Alexander.

Re: Project GH issue-tracker transition to ASF JIRA

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Then perhaps for the time being _all_ notifications could be send to issue@
and later on dup. for the CREATE event can be added for dev@ ??