Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org> on 2007/01/02 08:06:36 UTC

Re: svn commit: r491696 - /cocoon/trunk/core/cocoon-webapp/pom.xml

danielf@apache.org wrote:
> Author: danielf
> Date: Mon Jan  1 15:26:31 2007
> New Revision: 491696

> Log:
> I want working samples!
>
> Until someone find the motivation to maintain the dist samples we should keep cocoon-webapp in such a state that people can use it for testing Cocoon.

Big +1

Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler - Chief Architect
http://www.s-und-n.de

Re: cocoon-webapp, cocoon-dist-samples (Re: svn commit: r491696 - /cocoon/trunk/core/cocoon-webapp/pom.xml)

Posted by Mark Lundquist <ml...@comcast.net>.
[...]

Then, can somebody add to cocoon-webapp/pom.xml:

     <dependency>
       <groupId>org.apache.cocoon</groupId>
       <artifactId>cocoon-core-additional-sample</artifactId>
       <version>1.0.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
     </dependency>

thx,
—ml—

Re: cocoon-webapp, cocoon-dist-samples (Re: svn commit: r491696 - /cocoon/trunk/core/cocoon-webapp/pom.xml)

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Reinhard Poetz wrote:
> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>> Mark Lundquist wrote:
>>> I don't get it, why is keeping cocoon-dist-samples working so much
>>> harder than making samples work in cocoon-webapp?
>>>
>> The dist module requires the latest version of the maven release plugin
>> (I think it is the release plugin, but I might be wrong).
>
> IIRC it is the assembly plugin.

Ah, thanks, Reinhard.

Carsten

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc

Re: cocoon-webapp, cocoon-dist-samples (Re: svn commit: r491696 - /cocoon/trunk/core/cocoon-webapp/pom.xml)

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Mark Lundquist wrote:
> I don't get it, why is keeping cocoon-dist-samples working so much
> harder than making samples work in cocoon-webapp?

The dist module requires the latest version of the maven release plugin
(I think it is the release plugin, but I might be wrong). So as long as
this plugin is not released yet, only people installing the plugin
locally are able to build the module. Whereas cocoon-webapp is very easy
to build/start.

Carsten

Posted by Mark Lundquist <ml...@wrinkledog.com>.
On Jan 2, 2007, at 10:55 AM, Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:

> What IMO would be cool, would be to "blockify" the samples. If we do
> that the "sample app" would only be a POM that would download all the
> needed blocks and create a webapp from them with the deployer. That
> would illustrate what Cocoon 2.2 is about. A fat binary sample app
> doesn't.

I get it.

The above is what I thought cocoon-dist-samples was! :-)

I see what you mean about the cocoon-dist-samples (a) not being useful,
and (b) not teaching anything about how a C2.2 app is supposed to go
together.  (a), because... who needs a big fat Cocoon samples war?
Nobody that I know.

So cocoon-dist-samples is just a war packager, and the jetty:run goal
that I was using from there to run the nonpacked webapp is just a
sideshow, right?

I "have the motivation" to do thing we are talking about.
Unfortunately, I'm lacking the know-how! :-)  Maybe I will try anyway,
and then when I'm done I'll have the knowledge... :-)

thx,
—ml—

Re: cocoon-webapp, cocoon-dist-samples (Re: svn commit: r491696 - /cocoon/trunk/core/cocoon-webapp/pom.xml)

Posted by Daniel Fagerstrom <da...@nada.kth.se>.
I don't say that it is much harder to keep cocoon-dist-samples working
than making cocoon-webapp working. I just say that I lack the motivation.

The reason for that is that cocoon-webapp is a good example for seeing
what a development environment for Cocoon 2.2 looks like with Maven poms
and everything. While cocoon-dist-samples just is a prepackaged
application. You can't use it for starting new projects or learning
anything, its just show case the samples, nothing else.

And the samples are the same as in 2.1 so if you want to see them you
can just point your browser to
http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/demos/release/.

Later, when we have released 2.2, a binary sample distribution might be
worthwhile currently it is, IMO, not. But if someone is motivated,
please go ahead and fix it. But IIRC, it has never worked correctly.

What IMO would be cool, would be to "blockify" the samples. If we do
that the "sample app" would only be a POM that would download all the
needed blocks and create a webapp from them with the deployer. That
would illustrate what Cocoon 2.2 is about. A fat binary sample app doesn't.

/Daniel

Posted by Mark Lundquist <ml...@wrinkledog.com>.