Posted to dev@impala.apache.org by Jim Apple <jb...@cloudera.com> on 2017/09/04 02:29:17 UTC

New Impala contributors: getting started

If you are new to Impala and would like to contribute, you can start
by setting up an Impala development environment. For this you'll need
an Ubuntu 14.04 or 16.04 machine. Then just:

git clone https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator-impala.git ~/Impala
source ~/Impala/bin/bootstrap_development.sh

This will take about two hours to run, but when it is done you will be
ready to start developing Impala!

If you are then ready to start developing, take a look at Impala's
newbie issues: https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?filter=12341668.
If you find one you like, feel free to email dev@impala.apache.org to
discuss it, or dig right in. Before you start, though, register on the
Apache JIRA system and ask someone on dev@ to assign the ticket to
you. That way you don't end up in a race condition with another new
contributor! :-D

More detailed instructions on Impala's contribution process are
available on the wiki:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/IMPALA/Contributing+to+Impala

If you don't have an Ubuntu 14.04 or 16.04 environment available, you
can use Docker. First, install Docker as you normally would. Then,

docker pull ubuntu:16.04
docker run --privileged --interactive --tty --name impala-dev ubuntu:16.04 bash

Now, within the container:

apt-get update
apt-get install sudo
adduser --disabled-password --gecos '' impdev
echo 'impdev ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD:ALL' >> /etc/sudoers
su - impdev

Then, as impdev in the container:

sudo apt-get --yes install git
git clone https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator-impala.git ~/Impala
source ~/Impala/bin/bootstrap_development.sh

When that's done, start developing! When you're ready to pause, in a
new terminal in the host:

docker commit impala-dev && docker stop impala-dev

When you're ready to get back to work:

docker start --interactive impala-dev

If instead of committing your work and stopping the container, you
just want to detach from it, use ctrl-p ctrl-q. You can re-attach
using the start command.

Re: New Impala contributors: getting started

Posted by John Russell <jr...@cloudera.com>.
I discovered that the URL that came back in the HTTP 302 'moved' error:

https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=impala.git <https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=impala.git>

didn't work in a git remote set-url.  I ended up doing:

git remote set-url apache https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/impala.git
git remote set-url origin https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/impala.git

and that seems to have worked.

John