Posted to oak-dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Angela Schreiber <an...@adobe.com> on 2013/01/31 14:08:34 UTC

Regarding NullLocation#getParent (was Re: svn commit: r1440930)

hi michael

while looking at the TreeLocation implementation was wondering about
NullLocation#getParent() as IMO it violates the API contract because
it always returns the NULL-location. is there a particular reason
for this? and wouldn't it be possible to return the original
parent location through which this NULL location had originally
be accessed? to me that would feel much more natural that having
a location that all in a sudden is isolated from the hierarchy.

what do you think?

regards
angela

Re: Regarding NullLocation#getParent (was Re: svn commit: r1440930)

Posted by Michael Dürig <md...@apache.org>.

On 31.1.13 18:41, Angela Schreiber wrote:
> hi
>
> yes... that's correct, then getPath() should changed accordingly.
> and so does the API definition, which currently states that getPath
> would return null for non-existing items...
>
> i mean... the location has been accessed by specifying a path to
> the Root or another TreeLocation and it somehow feels a bit strange,
> that the location obtained would then return null, doesn't it?

Not really. If you fall of the tree you stay on the ground unless you
start climbing from the root again...

What you propose is a different semantics in its own right for
TreeLocation. That's why I'm reluctant with introducing it. It allows
you to do things like getNode("/some/non/existent/path/../../../..) to
get the root. While IMO this should not be possible, I just found out
that this is the way JR2 works.

I'll try the proposed changes and see where it leads to.

Michael

Posted by Angela Schreiber <an...@adobe.com>.
hi

Posted by Michael Dürig <md...@apache.org>.