Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org> on 2013/01/03 09:15:52 UTC

ANN: The 2nd hbase 0.94.4 release candidate is available for download

The 2nd 0.94.4 RC is available for download here: http://people.apache.org/~larsh/hbase-0.94.4-rc1/

Signed with my code signing key: C7CFE328

0.94.4 is a bug fix release. Bigger than expected, this RC has 81 issues resolved against it, contributed by 25 individuals.
These are mostly bug fixes, some nice performance improvements, and some other other improvements.
This release also includes many test fixes.

The full list of changes is available here: https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12310753&version=12323367

Please try out the RC, check out the doc, take it for a spin, etc, and vote +1/-1 by January 16th on whether we should release this as 0.94.4.

The release testing spreadsheet is here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvLqcVIqNtlTdE9iemw2STVmWHFVMVVNY2JvZ0NwZGc#gid=0
(if you test this release, please add your test to this spreadsheet, so that we can gauge the coverage)

As I said somewhere before, the rate of bug fixes and improvements that go into 0.94 is truly impressive.
0.94.3RC0 was announced a mere six weeks ago, and since then we already had over 80 fixes; that is almost 14 commits/week.
Looking at 0.94.5 - there is no sign of this slowing down. Keep it coming (but don't break the tests) :)
And I am not even talking about 0.96 where much of the new development happens. HBase is a very actively maintained project.
A comprehensive and stable test suite as well as frequent, small, and compatible releases will allow us to manage this rate of change.

Thanks.

-- Lars

Re: ANN: The 2nd hbase 0.94.4 release candidate is available for download

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.
I have already done some updates into it, but feel free to add what is missing.

JM

Posted by lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org>.
Thanks JM.

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.
Thanks for packaging this.

Posted by Devaraj Das <dd...@hortonworks.com>.
+1 from me. I ran some fairly large system tests and results are
positive. Have updated the release spreadsheet.

Thanks
Devaraj.

Posted by Devaraj Das <dd...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
+1

Tested md5 and verified signature.  Untarred contents look right.  Doc
looks right.

Started it up, uploaded 10M rows.  Verified they went in.  All defaults.
 Looked at logs.  Looked fine.

Only concern was I had these test-region and table-link dirs when i was
done under my /tmp/hbase-stack/hbase dir.  They must be vestiges from old
testing but others trying this candidate keep an eye out.

St.Ack

Posted by lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org>.
Friendly reminder to please have a look at this RC.
Is there anything we can do to make this less of a pain?

-- Lars

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
Thanks Lars.
St.Ack