Posted to users@maven.apache.org by J Aaron Farr <ja...@yahoo.com> on 2003/04/24 21:40:12 UTC

Including jars in jar:jar

Hello.

Is there a way to 'merge' dependency jars into the
"${maven.build.dir}/${maven.final.name}.jar" jar file?

I'm not talking about just dropping the jars into the build directory and
including them, but "combining" certain dependency jars with the final jar
built by jar:jar.  In other words, something like Uberjar, just not so uber.  I
believe the old <jars/> tag in the project.xml file were for this purpose, but
it's gone now.

Using this:

<postGoal name="java:compile">
   <deploy:copy-deps todir="${maven.build.dest}"/>
</postGoal>

in the maven.xml file, just drops the jars directly into the build directory,
so what you end up with is a final jar that contains jars within it.  I'm
looking more for something like:

   <dependency>
      <groupId>mx4j</groupId>
      <artifactId>mx4j-jmx</artifactId>
      <version>1.1.1</version>
      <properties>
         <jar.include>true</jar.include>
      </properties>
   </dependency>

in the project.xml file.  And then, for example, the contents inside the
jmx4j-jmx-1.1.1.jar file would be included with my project's class files to
create the final myproject-0.1.jar file.  Does that make sense?

Thanks!
jaaron