Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> on 2007/03/10 17:42:16 UTC

Re: two or more instances of James with one database backend

You cannot share mail/spool repositories between james instances.
They uses application locking, so they will fail to lock and that could
lead to multiple processing of the same message and various errors.

I replied many times on this argument. An attempt to support distributed
locking has been done (james-ha project on sourceforge), but I suggest
to use the primary/secondary MX solution that is part of the SMTP
specification: 1 server is primary and handle mails, the second server
is the secondary and simply keeps mails in the spool (outgoing) waiting
for the first server to come back to life.

Stefano

R: two or more instances of James with one database backend

Posted by Marcello Marangio <m....@tno.it>.
Hi
I think we are going to adopt this approach: 2 different mail/spool
repositories and same inbox repository with a simple db-based pop3 lock.
Ciao
Marcello