Posted to dev@perl.apache.org by Fred Moyer <fr...@taperfriendlymusic.org> on 2008/01/12 22:18:17 UTC

[RELEASE CANDIDATE] Apache-Reload 0.10 RC3

Greetings,

Third time is the charm :)  RC1 and RC2 were missing
t/conf/extra.conf.in from the MANIFEST.

I've updated the release procedure to run make disttest to identify
these errors, and fixed the problem.

All tests pass for me on:

1) Leopard mp2, 5.8.8
2) Linux 2.6.22, mp1, mp2, 5.8.8

http://people.apache.org/~phred/Apache-Reload-0.10-RC3.tar.gz

Re: [RELEASE CANDIDATE] Apache-Reload 0.10 RC3

Posted by "Philippe M. Chiasson" <go...@ectoplasm.org>.
Fred Moyer wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Third time is the charm :)  RC1 and RC2 were missing
> t/conf/extra.conf.in from the MANIFEST.
>
> I've updated the release procedure to run make disttest to identify
> these errors, and fixed the problem.
>
> All tests pass for me on:
>
> 1) Leopard mp2, 5.8.8

Same here on Leopard.

All tests successful.
Files=1, Tests=3,  1 wallclock secs ( 0.01 usr  0.00 sys +  0.36 cusr  0.07 csys =  0.44 CPU)
Result: PASS

Re: [RELEASE CANDIDATE] Apache-Reload 0.10 RC3

Posted by "Philippe M. Chiasson" <go...@ectoplasm.org>.

Posted by Fred Moyer <fr...@taperfriendlymusic.org>.

>>> Thanks for the spot Steve, I'll dig in and get this fixed.
>>
>> Here's the problem, the first line in t/conf/extra.last.conf.in is
>>
>> <IfModule mod_perl.c>
>>
>> And here is the unix vx linux relevant apache_test_config.pm section
>> [1]. Notice how Win32 doesn't have mod_perl.c, hence the IfModule is
>> false, and the location directives are not set.
>
> Ah, yes, I've seen this problem with <IfModule mod_perl.c> on Win32
> before.
>
> Isn't this list the list of compiled-in modules (as output by "apache
> -l" (on Win32 at least)?). If so then mod_perl is missing because it
> isn't "compiled-in": it is built as a DLL (.so) on Win32. Do you have a
> statically-linked mod_perl in your Unix/Linux example? If so then do you
> get exactly the same problem when linking dynamically instead?

I tried both static (1.3.39) and dynamic (2.0.4-dev) httpds, mod_perl.c
shows up in httpd -l but not httpd2 -l.  But mod_perl.c shows up in the
list of modules in t/conf/apache_test_config.pm for both cases, just
double checked again and verified it.

>> I don't see a straightforward solution to this problem, if anyone has
>> a suggestion please bring it forth.  I can munge the Makefile.PL so
>> that the tests aren't run if $O is Win32, but would rather have the
>> tests run.
>
> In the past I've written httpd.conf files containing code like this:
>
> <IfDefine PERL>
>     LoadModule perl_module modules/mod_perl.so
> </IfDefine>
> <IfDefine PERL>
>     AddModule mod_perl.c
> </IfDefine>
> <IfDefine PERL>
>     # Anything mod_perl-specific here
> </IfDefine>
>
> and then started the server with "-D PERL" if (and only if) I want
> mod_perl, i.e. in the above arrangement you can treat <IfDefine PERL>
> exactly like <IfModule mod_perl.c>, except that <IfDefine PERL> works.
> Could anything like this be worked into it?

Maybe add those top six lines to t/conf/extra.last.conf.in above the
existing conf directives, remove the all.t and see if it the tests run?  I
just tried it here with *nix 1.3.39 static and tests passed.  It would be
great if this worked on your setup, I see a lot of modules where this
could be used.

Posted by Steve Hay <St...@planit.com>.

Posted by Fred Moyer <fr...@taperfriendlymusic.org>.

>>> Here's the problem, the first line in t/conf/extra.last.conf.in is
>>>
>>> <IfModule mod_perl.c>
>>
>> Steve, can you add this snippet as t/all.t and make test again?
>> mod_perl.c is showing up in my list of modules as a static build with
>> unix apache 1.3.39.  I don't know if it isn't showing up in your conf
>> module list because of a windows specific issue.
>
> I think the difference must be that on Win32 the build is dynamic by
> default and that list of modules is just the static ones. Do you get the
> same problem with a dynamic build?

Oddly enough, I don't.  I remember this caused some confusion with me when
first hacking tests for Apache::Dispatch, but I accepted it and moved on.
mod_perl.c shows up in the module list in apache_test_config.pm for both
static 1.3.39 and dynamic 2.2.x apaches.

> Yes, that skips all the tests:
>
> t\all....skipped
>         all skipped: cannot find module 'mod_perl.c'
> All tests successful, 1 test skipped.
> Files=1, Tests=0,  1 wallclock secs ( 0.00 cusr +  0.00 csys =  0.00
> CPU)

Ok this is a good stop gap if the IfDefine PERL stuff doesn't work in your
tests, but I think shipping with win32 tests working would be preferable.

RE: [RELEASE CANDIDATE] Apache-Reload 0.10 RC3

Posted by Steve Hay <St...@planit.com>.

Posted by Fred Moyer <fr...@taperfriendlymusic.org>.

>>> [...]
>>>
>>> Fails all three tests here on WinXP/VC6 with perl-5.10.0, apache-1.3.39
>>> and mod_perl-1.31 RC2 :-(
>>
>> Thanks for the spot Steve, I'll dig in and get this fixed.
>
> Here's the problem, the first line in t/conf/extra.last.conf.in is
>
> <IfModule mod_perl.c>

Steve, can you add this snippet as t/all.t and make test again?
mod_perl.c is showing up in my list of modules as a static build with unix
apache 1.3.39.  I don't know if it isn't showing up in your conf module
list because of a windows specific issue.  I don't have any microsoft VC

Posted by Fred Moyer <fr...@taperfriendlymusic.org>.

Posted by Fred Moyer <fr...@taperfriendlymusic.org>.

Posted by Fred Moyer <fr...@taperfriendlymusic.org>.
> Fred Moyer wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> Third time is the charm :)  RC1 and RC2 were missing
>> t/conf/extra.conf.in from the MANIFEST.
> [...]
>> http://people.apache.org/~phred/Apache-Reload-0.10-RC3.tar.gz
>
> Fails all three tests here on WinXP/VC6 with perl-5.10.0, apache-1.3.39
> and mod_perl-1.31 RC2 :-(

Could you send me the error log, and the t/conf directory off list?  I'm
setting up mp2 under win32 here to test this out.

RE: [RELEASE CANDIDATE] Apache-Reload 0.10 RC3

Posted by Steve Hay <St...@planit.com>.