Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Stuart Ballard <st...@gmail.com> on 2006/11/07 02:23:51 UTC

Re: Interesting discoveries playing around with japitools

I've been following this thread as best I can from the archives.

I suspect the results you're getting were from the last release of
Japitools. I can't blame you for this - I ought to have made a new one
long ago - but the last release has a bunch of known bugs compared to
the current code. In particular the last release should definitely not
be used for anything where 1.5 language features are present.

The latest CVS code should be vastly improved; if you try this and
you're still seeing unexplained discrepancies, please let me know.

I'm planning to bundle up the current code into a new release in the
next few days, and I'm also revamping the website with the intention
to make it clear that the CVS code exists and is generally
recommended. (The very-much-work-in-progress new site can be seen at
http://sab39.netreach.com/japi).

One particular issue of note, because it concerns an issue that I just
(re)discovered on the Classpath results also: QName appears to trigger
an ecj bug in certain versions which produces an invalid class file by
incorrectly inheriting a generic parameter into a *static* inner
class. Apparently the latest ecj fixes this. I'm not 100% sure that
this is the issue that's causing it to be incorrectly reported missing
- but it seems awfully coincidental that the very same class with that
issue is the one that you're seeing problems on.

I'd really love if some Harmony developers would join the japitools
mailing list if you're interested in the Japi results and how to make
best use of them. I plan to announce both the lists and the new
website more prominently when I have a new release to announce as
well, but seeing as there was active discussion going on right now, I
didn't want to wait.

(Yes, the japitools list is on an FSF server. I really really hope
that this isn't going to be a political problem for you guys. I
selected Savannah for hosting japitools before Harmony even existed,
because it made most sense at the time when Classpath developers were
the main users. Please don't let that hinder our ability to
communicate on something that makes sense for all projects concerned)

Stuart.
--
http://sab39.dev.netreach.com/

Re: Interesting discoveries playing around with japitools

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Stuart Ballard wrote:
> I've been following this thread as best I can from the archives.

eheh, good luck with that. (I'm keeping you copied so that it's easier
for you to follow)

> I suspect the results you're getting were from the last release of
> Japitools. I can't blame you for this - I ought to have made a new one
> long ago - but the last release has a bunch of known bugs compared to
> the current code. In particular the last release should definitely not
> be used for anything where 1.5 language features are present.

ah-ha! awesome, I'll try that later.

> The latest CVS code should be vastly improved; if you try this and
> you're still seeing unexplained discrepancies, please let me know.

oh, rest assure I will :-)

> I'm planning to bundle up the current code into a new release in the
> next few days, and I'm also revamping the website with the intention
> to make it clear that the CVS code exists and is generally
> recommended. (The very-much-work-in-progress new site can be seen at
> http://sab39.netreach.com/japi).

very cool, a much needed revamp, if you ask me ;-)

If you need some CSS/webdesign skills, I'll be happy to give a hand.

> One particular issue of note, because it concerns an issue that I just
> (re)discovered on the Classpath results also: QName appears to trigger
> an ecj bug in certain versions which produces an invalid class file by
> incorrectly inheriting a generic parameter into a *static* inner
> class. Apparently the latest ecj fixes this. I'm not 100% sure that
> this is the issue that's causing it to be incorrectly reported missing
> - but it seems awfully coincidental that the very same class with that
> issue is the one that you're seeing problems on.

Interesting.

> I'd really love if some Harmony developers would join the japitools
> mailing list if you're interested in the Japi results and how to make
> best use of them. I plan to announce both the lists and the new
> website more prominently when I have a new release to announce as
> well, but seeing as there was active discussion going on right now, I
> didn't want to wait.

oh, didn't even know one existed.

> (Yes, the japitools list is on an FSF server. I really really hope
> that this isn't going to be a political problem for you guys. I
> selected Savannah for hosting japitools before Harmony even existed,
> because it made most sense at the time when Classpath developers were
> the main users. Please don't let that hinder our ability to
> communicate on something that makes sense for all projects concerned)

you kidding? of course I'll join.

--
Stefano.