Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by ph...@gmx.com on 2011/05/24 12:19:02 UTC

[users@httpd] MPM worker question

Hi,

 When using MPM worker with more than one child process, can anyone tell me whether Apache will handle connections on one child until all threads are used, and then pass any new connections to the next child process? This is my guess of how it roughly happens (since it maximises efficient use of memory). The reason I ask is I am trying to calculate how much memory a server running worker would use. With around 700 connections on a server with 5000 MaxClients (50 child processes with 100 threads each, with 50 servers started) 'ps' reports around 10 child processes using 30-100M, and the remaining 40 or so using about 11M, so I am making a rough guess that if every thread on a server was used, based on the maximum memory usage seen of one child, that this configuration would need about 5GB

 Regards,

 -C

RE: [users@httpd] MPM worker question

Posted by Geoff Millikan <gm...@t1shopper.com>.
> I am trying to calculate how much memory a server running worker would use. With around 700
> 'ps' reports around 10 child processes using 30-100M...

It would be nice if it were that easy.  Remember a lot of the processes are reusing components.  Do a 'pmap' on one of the Apache
process IDs for details.  Lots on this already written but since there's no easy, scientific way to get a hard number it's an
ongoing discussion point.

http://lmgtfy.com/q=pmap+apache

http://apache.markmail.org/thread/gabfzn36i7goisbz