Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Brian Minchau <mi...@ca.ibm.com> on 2006/10/16 22:16:42 UTC

Proposal that Xalan-J support JDK 1.2 and later (dropping support for 1.1.x )

To Xalan-J users:

Is there anyone who wishes Apache Xalan to continue supporting the runtime
environment of 1.1.x ?

The issue that came up at the Xalan-J JIRA meeting today was that we stop
supporting JDK 1.1.8, specifically that we stop supporting JDK 1.1.x and
move to JDK 1.2 or later.

This discussion was prompted by issue xalanj-2284
(http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/XALANJ-2284) which proposed using an
ArrayList rather than a Vector, and a HashMap rather than a Hashtable. Both
ArrayList and HashMap are not synchronized and should run faster, but these
classes do not exist in JDK 1.1.x So to accept this patch we need to drop
support for 1.1.x

Note that Apache Xerces has already dropped support for 1.1.x.

- Brian

Re: Proposal that Xalan-J support JDK 1.2 and later (dropping support for 1.1.x )

Posted by Henry Zongaro <zo...@ca.ibm.com>.
Brian Minchau/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA wrote on 2006-10-16 04:16:42 PM:
> Is there anyone who wishes Apache Xalan to continue supporting the
> runtime environment of 1.1.x ?
>
> The issue that came up at the Xalan-J JIRA meeting today was that
> we stop supporting JDK 1.1.8, specifically that we stop supporting
> JDK 1.1.x and move to JDK 1.2 or later.

I'd like to add that XSLTC has always required JDK 1.2 or later, but that
in the past we always tried to ensure Xalan-J Interpretive could run on
JDK 1.1.8.  However, I don't know whether anybody has tried running it
there lately; it might be that the interpretive processor already has
dependencies on 1.2 or later, and we don't realize it.

Thanks,

Henry

Re: Proposal that Xalan-J support JDK 1.2 and later (dropping support for 1.1.x )

Posted by Henry Zongaro <zo...@ca.ibm.com>.
Brian Minchau/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA wrote on 2006-10-16 04:16:42 PM:
> Is there anyone who wishes Apache Xalan to continue supporting the
> runtime environment of 1.1.x ?
>
> The issue that came up at the Xalan-J JIRA meeting today was that
> we stop supporting JDK 1.1.8, specifically that we stop supporting
> JDK 1.1.x and move to JDK 1.2 or later.

I'd like to add that XSLTC has always required JDK 1.2 or later, but that
in the past we always tried to ensure Xalan-J Interpretive could run on
JDK 1.1.8.  However, I don't know whether anybody has tried running it
there lately; it might be that the interpretive processor already has
dependencies on 1.2 or later, and we don't realize it.

Thanks,

Henry
Henry Zongaro      XSLT Processors Development
mailto:zongaro@ca.ibm.com