Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by "Jim R. Wilson" <wi...@gmail.com> on 2008/05/15 23:23:20 UTC

Hadoop experts wanted

Hi all,

Hadoop is a great project and a growing niche.  As it becomes even
more popular, there will be increasing demand for experts in the
field.

I am compiling a contact list of Hadoop experts who may be interested
in opportunities under the right circumstances.  I am not a recruiter
- I'm a regular developer who sometimes gets asked for referrals when
I'm not personally available.

If you'd like to be on my shortlist of go-to experts, please contact
me off-list at: wilson.jim.r@gmail.com

Please be prepared to show your expertise by any of the following:
 * Committer status or patches accepted
 * Commit access to another open source project which uses Hadoop
 * Bugs reported which were either resolved or are still open (real bugs)
 * Articles / blog entries written about Hadoop concepts or development
 * Speaking engagements or user groups at which you've presented
 * Significant contributions to documentation
 * Other? (I'm sure I didn't think of everything)

I'll be happy to answer any questions, and I look forward to hearing from you!

-- Jim R. Wilson (jimbojw)

Re: Hadoop experts wanted

Posted by "Jim R. Wilson" <wi...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Jeff - glad for the support :)

I appreciate your concern Edward.  My background is primarily in
MediaWiki, and I'm a relative newcomer to Hadoop/Hbase - writing
MapReduce Python jobs using Hadoop streaming and connecting PHP to
HBase through Thrift.  It's all been a very interesting journey which
I plan to write more articles about as time permits.  I'm also
preparing a patch for HBase to support generating EC2 AMIs with
Hadoop+HBase since all the latest public AMIs have only Hadoop.

Regarding the feelers, I've posted feeler messages only in communities
where I feel I could intelligently contribute to a conversation on the
subject.  I wouldn't, for example, post such a feeler on a Linux
kernel development list as I have no experience or knowledge about it.
 Based on my recent experience with Hadoop/HBase, I felt I'd be able
to vet any potentially interested experts by evaluating code samples,
asking pointed questions, reading published articles etc.

Being a wiki guy, the system I eventually create to present the expert
list will almost certainly have a wiki component, giving experts the
opportunity to elaborate on their experience or knowledge without
restriction, but also have an uneditable (moderator only) section
where I'd list the affirmed credentials (such as significant patches,
enhancements, articles on the subject etc).

I'm still not sure yet what the whole thing will look like, but I've
gotten a fairly positive response to my query mails so far, so I'll
begin cooking something up soon.

Sorry for taking this so far off-topic, it wasn't my intent to do so.
I appreciate your concern, and if you have suggestions on how I could
make my emails seem less spammy, I'd be happy to alter them. :)

-- Jim

Re: Hadoop experts wanted

Posted by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@udanax.org>.
Oh, yes, i guessed wrong.