Posted to users@maven.apache.org by James Russo <jr...@halo3.net> on 2009/09/10 22:20:14 UTC

question re: CI builds and maven.

Hello,

    This is likely more of a software engineering related maven
question. With the concept of snapshots and versioned artifacts where
would a continuous build system come into place? How do others use it? I
guess you really have two options, the CI system can produce snapshots
or it can produce version'd releases.  I would imagine that you would
want to have the CI server publish these artifacts back to your local
internal repository..

So, how do others use continuous integration servers like hudson in
their maven environment?

thanks!
-jr

RE: question re: CI builds and maven.

Posted by Todd Thiessen <th...@nortel.com>.
SNAPSHOTS are a very similar concept. You work toward a 2.0.1 release,
so your development builds have a version of 2.0.1-SNAPSHOT as you work
toward a final release.

The concept of "release" typcically means more than just a CI build. A
released artifact on a repo generally never gets deleted but a developer
CI build you typically do want to purge at some point. SNAPSHOTs work
with this in mind.

---
Todd Thiessen

Posted by James Russo <jr...@halo3.net>.

Posted by Todd Thiessen <th...@nortel.com>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
The Sonatype book

Posted by James Russo <jr...@halo3.net>.
Thanks Wes,

Posted by Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com>.
I use CI to make sure that unit tests all still pass in other
artifacts. For instance, I make changes in artifactA and somewhere
down a dependency chain, artifactB is affected... I may not realize
that my change breaks artifactB, I may not even know that artifactB
exists, but if the CI build shows test failures, someone knows where
to start looking (the changes the initiated the build?).

The CI does push to our nexus repo, but to me the fact that it can do
that is irrelevant.

-Wes

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 4:20 PM, James Russo <jr...@halo3.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>   This is likely more of a software engineering related maven question. With
> the concept of snapshots and versioned artifacts where would a continuous
> build system come into place? How do others use it? I guess you really have
> two options, the CI system can produce snapshots or it can produce version'd
> releases.  I would imagine that you would want to have the CI server publish
> these artifacts back to your local internal repository..
>
> So, how do others use continuous integration servers like hudson in their
> maven environment?
>
> thanks!
> -jr

Wes Wannemacher