Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net> on 2022/04/28 16:16:19 UTC

Re: Testing Tomcat pre-releases

David,

(Replying to the Tomcat users@ list)

On 4/28/22 08:45, David Cleary wrote:
> Hi Chris. We have spoken over the years at various Apachecons. In one of
> your presentations, you talked about smoke testing Tomcat pre-releases.
> We just got bitten by a regression in 9.0.62, and the team that is
> responsible for updating it is interested in the details on doing this.
> Can you give me details on where we would pick up pre-release builds and
> what mailing list we should monitor and report any issues.

Sure.

Briefly, the release process goes like this[1]:

last-minute commits or conversations. This often doesn't happen because
we have a release-cadence that follows a rough schedule of
prep-and-release around the beginning of each month.

2. Tag the release + prepare a release candidate build. This is a formal
process which results in a vote.

3. Declare a vote on Tomcat x.y.z for a [VOTE] thread posted to the dev@
mailing list. Here is your opportunity to give feedback on the release.
(See below). Information about where to get the release candidates is
available in that [VOTE] message.

4. Assuming the [VOTE] passes, the release is promoted from "candidate"
to "official release", distributed to mirrors, and announced.

So, how can you participate in #3 above?

Well, the release candidate includes all the binary artifacts from a
regular release, so you can use it just as you would usually use a
"real" release. You can also build it from source as you always could, etc.

The "Getting Started Hacking Tomcat" presentation[2] contains some
information about how to build from source, run the unit-tests, etc. if
you'd like some guidance.

If you find a bug and are able to contribute a test-case for us to
include in our test process, that would be great: it will prevent the
bug from coming-back as a regression in the future.

Simply reply to the [VOTE] thread with any concerns you may have, or, if
everything is great, we'd love to have your "+1 to release" vote as
well. Technically speaking, non-PMC-members don't have a binding vote,
but I have never seen a vote move-forward in spite of legitimate
negative community feedback. If something is wrong with the release,
we'll cancel it, the fix issue, and repeat the process with a new
release candidate (and version number).

Let us know if you have any questions.

-chris

[1] Subject to the whims of the release managers, who are -- remember --
unpaid volunteers
[2] https://tomcat.apache.org/presentations.html

Re: Testing Tomcat pre-releases

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
David,

On 4/29/22 15:24, David Cleary wrote:
> [...]

No, you should expect them to show up here:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/ (for Tomcat 8)

There's nothing there, now, because it's been promoted to released, here:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/tomcat/tomcat-8/

There is a directory like that for each of the current releases (10.1,
10.0, 9.0, 8.5). The [VOTE] message to the dev list will contain a link
to the binaries proposed for release.

Have a look at the history of [VOTE] emails here:

https://lists.apache.org/list?dev@tomcat.apache.org:lte=1M:[VOTE]%20release

> One issue I've run into is that our Gradle builds use the Windows 32
> and 64 bit zip files since we ship with the commons-daemon
> executable. Don't really know where or Artifactory gets those from.
> Are those available in staging somewhere before release?
Yep. The "release" directory contains byte-for-byte identical items to
whatever was in the "dev" directory during the voting process. So, for
example:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.5.78/bin/apache-tomcat-8.5.78-windows-x86.zip

Hope that helps,
-chris