Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Bernd Waibel <BW...@intarsys.de> on 2014/09/17 13:12:34 UTC

AW: Urgent Spamhaus Help Needed - james 2.3.2 [unsigned]

Hi,

this may not be a matter of james, but it need to get fixed.

Maybe check this:

Do your server accept mails from extern addressed "from: someone@somewhere.de" to "unknownuser@yourdomain.de"?
So the Reply may be the spam.

Do your server accept mails from extern addressed "from: <null>" (means no from) to "someone@somewhere.de"?
It seems to me that not all mailets in james handle the From==null.

Could everybody subscribe to your service, with a wrong e-mail address?
In the past we had an "subscribe newsletter" on our webpage, even with captcha, and had a lot of "fake" subscriptions.
The used e-mail address got the "thank your for subscribing", and some users marked this as spam.
So it may be a matter of a third system, not the mail system directly.

Mfg
Bernd

Posted by Bernd Waibel <BW...@intarsys.de>.
Forgotten something...
You could integrate spamassasin in james (we did).
So you could filter out the spam yourself.
But only if your server sends the spam (this must not be true, everybody could send spam with your address).
Maybe just someone is using your e-mail addresses....?

AW: AW: AW: AW: Urgent Spamhaus Help Needed - james 2.3.2 [unsigned]

Posted by Bernd Waibel <BW...@intarsys.de>.
Hi,

every mail system had to look for correct dns and reverse-dns settings.
Not only james, MS Exchange too. So this is not a matter of james but a matter of email systems.

If you use ssl with smtp, it could become more complicated:
If you use SSL I suggest to use exactly the name of the mailserver as "common name" in the ssl certificate. Just to be sure it matches.
If you use MS Exchange, you need more than one name to match (e.g. autodiscover.mydomain.com) und need a SSL certificate with more than one domain name (Subject Alternative Name (SAN) SSL Certificate).

In the past we used an ip address for our mailserver, which has been marked by the internet provider as "dynamic".
This means, that this ip address range is normaly used by "users" using DHCP (normal home users using DSL).
Because of this " dynamic" ip, we had been banned by one large internet provider, cause they don't trust dynamic ip address ranges.
We had to change the ip address to get rid of this.

We had also been banned one time for exactly the same reason you had. But with another background.
Some of our developers tried "sending emails directly from their development environment".
They used our outside MX IP address, but used the wrong name.
So we had been banned, too.
But we did talk to the developers, and closed the possibility to do this.
So: Your firewall should block all incoming and outgoing smtp traffic, except from your james server.

One more:
Few years ago our internet provider did configure the reverse-dns wrong.
So he configured:
- mail.mydomain.com == 123.123.123.123, and
- 123.123.123.123=someotherserver.mydomain.com
This could lead to the same problem you had.
To fix this you need a DNS update by your internet provider.

Last one:
Some years ago we got banned by a north-european "security firm", can't remember the name.
They offered two options:
First: you could wait to get unbanned, when  your "reputation" gets better by not sending spam again.
Or, second: you could pay for get unbanned. About 300 Euros, I think. Yes.
;-)

So the question, which e-mail server sould be trustworthy or not, is not easy to answer.
So you have to stay tuned to not get banned again....
And is not always your fault.

Ciao
Bernd

Posted by Pete Williams <px...@hotmail.com>.