Posted to dev@perl.apache.org by David Jacobs <dj...@cheetahmail.com> on 2002/05/23 16:41:48 UTC

mod_perl benchmarking (was Re: documenting SetHandler perl-script|modperl)

I've had trouble benchmarking some of my mod_perl scripts on my desktop.
The http_load tool we usually use (all under RedHat) works fine with
static pages or CGI, but when I use it on mod_perl scripts I get a "byte
count wrong" error. This could be because of something unexpected in the
header, or perhaps mod_perl doesn't like to be benchmarked? It makes no
sense to me either :(

What tools do you all use to benchmark web page performace?

tia
David

Re: mod_perl benchmarking (was Re: documenting SetHandler perl-script|modperl)

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
David Jacobs wrote:
> I've had trouble benchmarking some of my mod_perl scripts on my desktop.
> The http_load tool we usually use (all under RedHat) works fine with
> static pages or CGI, but when I use it on mod_perl scripts I get a "byte
> count wrong" error. This could be because of something unexpected in the
> header, or perhaps mod_perl doesn't like to be benchmarked? It makes no
> sense to me either :(

are you talking about mod_perl 1.0 or 2.0? I've recently used http_load
to do some benchmarking on 1.0 and haven't noticed any problems.

http://perl.apache.org/release/docs/1.0/guide/performance.html#Benchmarking_Response_Times

Re: mod_perl benchmarking (was Re: documenting SetHandler perl-script|modperl)

Posted by Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@skynet.be>.
At 16:41 23.05.2002, David Jacobs wrote:
>I've had trouble benchmarking some of my mod_perl scripts on my desktop.
>The http_load tool we usually use (all under RedHat) works fine with
>static pages or CGI, but when I use it on mod_perl scripts I get a "byte
>count wrong" error. This could be because of something unexpected in the
>header, or perhaps mod_perl doesn't like to be benchmarked? It makes no
>sense to me either :(
>
>What tools do you all use to benchmark web page performace?

This should be discussed on the mod_perl users list.

See the performance docs,
http://perl.apache.org/release/docs/1.0/guide/performance.html
And especially the section on Benchmarking applications:
http://perl.apache.org/release/docs/1.0/guide/performance.html#Benchmarking_Applications

--
Per Einar Ellefsen
per.einar@skynet.be