Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Sachin Patel <sp...@gmail.com> on 2005/08/27 22:29:12 UTC

[mevenide-dev] Help building eclipse plugins

So, Gilles doesn't recommend modeling the build for the geronimo eclipse
plugins after the Mevenide plugin, as he thinks its grown way too
complex, plus it doesn't support OSGI bundles.  The geronimo server
adapter are already defined as OSGI bundles anyways so this is problem
as I wouldn't to revert away from OSGI as this would force me to use
deprecated Eclipse APIs.

He mentions trying to use the maven-osgi-plugin, but the M2 version of
it, which of course Geronimo hasn't moved to M2 yet.  Will the move to
M2 be a post 1.0 item?

Re: [mevenide-dev] Help building eclipse plugins

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
On Aug 27, 2005, at 5:57 PM, Jeff Genender wrote:

> Sachin,
>
> maven 1 can use a lot of your ant stuff too (just looks a bit
> wierd). You don't always have to rely on the plugin - for example
> the maven xdoclet plugins are too restrictive.  Its easy to just do
> a taskdef and throw in your ant tasks.
>
> If I had my druthers, I would stick with M1 so it will build with
> everything.  Although there is a plan to move to M2, those target
> dates are unknown.  It would be nice to have the plugin build under
> M1, with the rest of G.  I think it would be a bit much to have the
> end user have to download m1 and m2 to build all of G.

I was just assuming that invoking m2 on a m1 project would just work.
Anything else will be chaos inviting much derision from Hani, because
not all projects in the universe will upgrade to M2 at the same time...

Anyone have any idea?

geir

> [...]
>> way too complex, plus it doesn't support OSGI bundles.  The
>> geronimo server adapter are already defined as OSGI bundles
>> anyways so this is problem as I wouldn't to revert away from OSGI
>> as this would force me to use deprecated Eclipse APIs.
>> He mentions trying to use the maven-osgi-plugin, but the M2
>> version of it, which of course Geronimo hasn't moved to M2 yet.
>> Will the move to M2 be a post 1.0 item?
>> ---
>> Re: [mevenide-dev] Help building eclipse plugins
>> From:
>> Gilles Dodinet <rh...@free.fr>
>> Date:
>> Sat, 27 Aug 2005 16:19:21 +0200
>> To:
>> dev@mevenide.codehaus.org
>> To:
>> dev@mevenide.codehaus.org
>> en-us, en
>> 7bit
>> sachin,
>> right now maven-eclipse-eclipse-plugin is used in conjunction with
>> m1. however this plugin has grown big and now exposes too many
>> configuration properties and thus is now way too complex. besides
>> that it doesn't support osgi bundle packaged plugins so it may
>> probably not fit your needs. months ago i had started to
>> reimplement it targetting m2 but had no time to finish the task.
>> luckily enough matthew pryor has started too to write a m2 plugin
>> to build eclipse plugins (search maven-dev list for "help with
>> custom lifecyle" thread). i don't know the exact status of this
>> plugin though.
>> another alternative could be to use maven-osgi-plugin - haven't
>> tried m1 version, m2 version' howto can be found here : http://
>> tinyurl.com/8cjkv (in particular it needs a modified maven-
>> archiver-plugin version) ; just to let you know: i'm experimenting
>> a little issue with inherited artifacts : if projectA inherits
>> from projectB and projectB declares dependency D with a scope of
>> either compile or runtime, D artifact will be bundled in
>> projectA's osgi bundle even it redeclares D with a scope of
>> provided. i've played with it only recently so i'm not sure yet
>> how to fix it. in any case i'll fill a issue against felix jira if
>> i can't solve it.
>> also if you're hesitating i'd recommend you to start with m2.
>> last, as you'd probably know eclipse forces you to use a flat
>> layout - m2 supports this very well when defining module as
>> <module> ../child-project-folder</module>
>> hope this helps-
>> -- gd
>> Sachin Patel wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I'm wanting to build and package a set of plugins and its feature
>>> using Maven.  I see that you all have done this successfully with
>>> Mavenide.  I'm experienced in Eclipse but a newbie to Maven, so
>>> would someone mind helping me get started with this?  I've pulled
>>> down the source and I'm looking at the following directory structure

>>> maven-eclipse-plugin-plugin
>>> mevenide-config
>>> mevenide-core
>>> mevenide-eclipse-help
>>> mevenide-feature
>>> mevenide-grammer

geirm@apache.org

Re: [mevenide-dev] Help building eclipse plugins

Posted by Sachin Patel <sp...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for everyones input.  So it seems theres a number of paths we can
go down, and never have Mavenized anything before, this makes things
even more confusing for me :) as theres no one clear path I can model
this after.  So here a my requirements as I would appreciate someone's
help getting me going on this.

Currently there are 4 plugins (3 of which are defined as eclipe OSGI
bundles and will be packaged as a .jar), the other a regular plugin.
The final folder org.apache.geronimo.feature defines the feature.

(1) Be able to define dependencies on external eclipse plugins as well
as dependencies between each of the geronimo plugins themselves
(2) Compile and create the OSGI bundle .jar
(3) Package in that jar, only whats specified in the build.properties
file of the given plugin, as some resources don't need to be in the binary.
(4) Build the feature plugin which contains no source.
(5) Finally package each of the plugins and feature into a .zip file for
distribution.

More advance requirements including creating updating the site.xml and
distributable jars for the update site.

So some of my confusion lays with the current directory structure.  I
know for each of the plugins I need to define a project.xml that defines
each of the dependencies for it.  But what puts all these togather? Do I
need a single project.xml at the root level above all the plugins that
handles each of the build steps? Or do I need some sort of master
project for this where all the output will go into? (Kinda like the
geronimo assembly module?)  How is project build order handled?

Thanks.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
I wanted to offer Sachim the freedom to do what he thinks is best,
knowing that M2 is coming at some point.  I would have guessed that
most users will pick up the completed plugins to use through Eclipse
itself, and for those that want to work on and build the plugins, it
is an inconvenience of M2 is incompatible with M1, but a very small
population of our userbase (currently 1... :)

geir

geirm@apache.org

Re: [mevenide-dev] Help building eclipse plugins

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@savoirtech.com>.
Sachin,

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
On Aug 27, 2005, at 4:29 PM, Sachin Patel wrote:

> So, Gilles doesn't recommend modeling the build for the geronimo
> eclipse plugins after the Mevenide plugin, as he thinks its grown
> way too complex, plus it doesn't support OSGI bundles.  The
> geronimo server adapter are already defined as OSGI bundles anyways
> so this is problem as I wouldn't to revert away from OSGI as this
> would force me to use deprecated Eclipse APIs.
>
> He mentions trying to use the maven-osgi-plugin, but the M2 version
> of it, which of course Geronimo hasn't moved to M2 yet.  Will the
> move to M2 be a post 1.0 item?

Don't worry about that.  We're planning to get to M2 at some point,
and with the eclipse code in a subproject, the build is independent.
So if you want to go down the M2 path, I'm all for it.  Anyone else
agree/disagree?

geir

geirm@apache.org