Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu> on 2007/03/07 21:04:24 UTC

Branch from working copy

Hi,

Let me start by saying that we switched our company over to SVN from CVS
1.5 years ago. As far as I'm concerned, SVN is hands down the best SCM
tool I've ever used. The documentation is also one of the best I've seen
in OSS.

I just have one small issue that I can't seem to find the answer to.
When developers create a branch from working copy, the copy and the
commits are committed in a single revision (as the doc says). This
causes problems when merging because diffing R-1 on that branch causes
an error because the branch didn't exist in R-1. What is the correct way
to recover from this and perform the merge? (no matter how many times I
instruct the devs to make the branch first, switch and then commit,
inevitably someone does it and then comes crying to me)

Thanks,
Brian

Re: Branch from working copy

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.
On 3/7/07, Brian E. Fox <br...@reply.infinity.nu> wrote:

>  Hi,
>
> Let me start by saying that we switched our company over to SVN from CVS
> 1.5 years ago. As far as I'm concerned, SVN is hands down the best SCM
> tool I've ever used. The documentation is also one of the best I've seen in
> OSS.
>
> I just have one small issue that I can't seem to find the answer to. When
> developers create a branch from working copy, the copy and the commits are
> committed in a single revision (as the doc says). This causes problems when
> merging because diffing R-1 on that branch causes an error because the
> branch didn't exist in R-1. What is the correct way to recover from this and
> perform the merge? (no matter how many times I instruct the devs to make the
> branch first, switch and then commit, inevitably someone does it and then
> comes crying to me)

I have a blog post that might help:

http://markphip.blogspot.com/2007/01/shelves-in-subversion.html

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard
http://markphip.blogspot.com/

Re: Branch from working copy

Posted by Frodak Baksik <fr...@gmail.com>.
On 3/8/07, Méresse Christophe wrote:

Some of this was discussed in the following thread:
http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ReadMsg?listName=users&msgNo=62209

Regards,
Frodak

RE: Branch from working copy