Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by User X <fa...@gmail.com> on 2004/12/15 19:45:04 UTC

[users@httpd] enable-rule=SHARED_CORE only allows 256 MaxClients?

Hello all,

I'm re-compiling apache 1.3.x (have tried both 1.3.27 and 1.3.33) on
Solaris 8 (on SPARC) for an environment that needs to increase its
MaxClients to >256. These are the options compiled into the existing
installation:

./configure --prefix=/opt/local/apache1.3.27 \
--enable-module=so \
--enable-rule=SHARED_CORE \
--with-perl=/usr/local/bin/perl \
--activate-module=src/modules/ldap/mod_auth_ldap.c \
--enable-module=ssl \
--enable-shared=ssl

I've changed the src/httpd.h "HARD_SERVER_LIMIT" from 256 to 2048.
Whenever I compile with the --enable-rule=SHARED_CORE option, the
MaxClients is limited to 256. If I omit that one option and compile
with (or without) any of the other options, the server compiles fine
and the MaxClients is set to 2048, as I intended.

I've been googling like mad and can't seem to find the reason that
this option requires the lower MaxClients setting. I'm getting ready
to test the binary without the
--enable-rule=SHARED_CORE option, but I really want to preserve the
current build as much as possible. Anyone have any ideas what I might
be missing here?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Re: [users@httpd] enable-rule=SHARED_CORE only allows 256 MaxClients?

Posted by David Kaplowitz <fa...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 19:35:17 -0500, Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 13:45:04 -0500, User X <fa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I've changed the src/httpd.h "HARD_SERVER_LIMIT" from 256 to 2048.
> > Whenever I compile with the --enable-rule=SHARED_CORE option, the
> > MaxClients is limited to 256. If I omit that one option and compile
> > with (or without) any of the other options, the server compiles fine
> > and the MaxClients is set to 2048, as I intended.
>
> Just a guess, but perhaps you aren't properly installing everything.
> With SHARED_CORE, there is more stuff to install.  Try compiling and
> installing fresh with a different --prefix.
>
> Joshua.

Hi Joshua, thanks for the reply. I'm not sure which stuff you're
refering to that I'd need to install. The documentation that I'm
finding scouring the web and apache's site is telling me that
something as simple as:

$ ./configure --prefix=/path/to/install
              --enable-rule=SHARED_CORE

should be enough. I've basically confirmed that any system I have
access to limits MaxClients to 256 with this option in the config
options. And without it, I can up the MaxClients to whatever I want
(well honestly I've not tried more than 2048). I'm assuming this is
some kind of bug, unless I'm missing something really obvious here.

What I can't believe is that there aren't other people running larger
sites with this option enabled and haven't run into it before. I'm
willing to be wrong here, but everything I do points back to some
limitation in this setting.

Is there anything more detailed than this doc
(http://httpd.apache.org/docs/dso.html) that you know about?

Thanks,

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.