Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Brett McLaughlin <br...@earthlink.net> on 2000/03/24 19:05:27 UTC

Help on request variable in XSP

Is there something particular that has to be done to get access to the
request variable in XSP?

In this XSP page:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<?cocoon-process type="xsp"?>
<?cocoon-process type="xslt"?>

<?xml-stylesheet href="XSL/JavaXML.fo.xsl" type="text/xsl"?>

<xsp:page language="java"

 <xsp:logic>
   private boolean isAuthor() {
     String role = request.getParameterValues("userRole")[0];

     is (role.equals("author")) {
       return true;
     } else {
       return false;
     }
   }
 </xsp:logic>

  <root>
    <!-- some content -->
  </root>
</xsp:page>

It gives me the following error every time:

java.lang.Exception: XSP Java Compiler: Compilation failed for
_chapterOne.java
25: Undefined variable or class name: request
  String role = request.getParameterValues("userRole")[0];

1 error
.... (stack trace ending at XSPJavaProcessor)

any ideas, please?

Thanks,
Brett

-----
Brett McLaughlin
Metro Information Systems
Work: (972) 724-3161
Mobile: (817) 825-7187

Re: Help on request variable in XSP

Posted by Mike Engelhart <me...@earthtrip.com>.
 <?xml version="1.0"?>
> <?cocoon-process type="xsp"?>
> <?cocoon-process type="xslt"?>
>
> <?xml-stylesheet href="XSL/JavaXML.fo.xsl" type="text/xsl"?>
>
> <xsp:page language="java"
> xmlns:xsp="http://www.apache.org/1999/XSP/Core"
>>

> <xsp:logic>
> private boolean isAuthor() {
> String role = request.getParameterValues("userRole")[0];
>
> is (role.equals("author")) {
> return true;
> } else {
> return false;
> }
> }
> </xsp:logic>
>
> <root>
> <!-- some content -->
> </root>
> </xsp:page>

<xsp:logic> tags outside of the xml root element (in your case <root>) are
class variables. since the request object is passed into the xsp page, you
need to access it from within the root element which is processed inside a
method call (populateDocument()? - i forget off the top of my head - it's in
the source though)

Anyway, that is why you're getting that error.  If you put

request.getParameter("MYPARAM") inside your <root> element it will play
nice..

Mike Engelhart