Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk> on 1999/02/08 20:14:37 UTC

Possible Security Problem: Fake PGP Key

It has come to my attention that there is a faked key out there,
purporting to be mine:

Key ID: 0x6B722A59
Fingerprint: 428C 1E68 35E1 E96C 177A  F49C A906 3F1F 6B72 2A59
Name: Ben Laurie <be...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Created: 09/10/98
Type: 2048/1024 DH/DSS

It isn't clear to me what the point of this key is, but since I use PGP
to sign both Apache and Apache-SSL, and given recent Trojans, it isn't
hard to guess.

I didn't create this key. I don't know who did. I have no report of it
being used (yet), but if anyone has seen it used, I'd like to know about
it.

BTW, I observe that it is hard to know that my key is really mine, since
it isn't signed by well-known people. If there's anyone out there who
wants to sign it on the basis that they've seen it sign Apache or
Apache-SSL distributions for several years, that would seem to be at
least as worthwhile as having met me at a key-signing party....

Cheers,

Ben.

--
http://www.apache-ssl.org/ben.html