Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "dimitryous r." <04...@edelphy.com> on 2007/03/26 00:13:38 UTC

Launching Tomcat at boot

Hello,

Is there a way for me to launch my Apache Tomcat server automatically
at each boot?
Right now I have to launch Terminal.app and then type "/usr/local/bin/
start_tomcat" (or paste the stuff).
Result ok at http://192/168/0/1:8080 .

I tried to put the the following code - the file name is tomcat.plist
- in the "/Library/LaunchDaemons/" root folder, but after reboot,
nothing in browser at the above address.

  *** no success ***

beg code ___
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://
www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>tomcat.plist</key>
	<string>apache-tomcat-5.5.20</string>
	<key>ProgramArguments</key>
	<array>
		<string>/usr/local/bin/start_tomcat</string>
	</array>
	<key>RunAtLoad</key>
	<true/>
	<key>OnDemand</key>
	<true/>
</dict>
</plist>
end code ___

My start_tomcat contain the following code:
beg code ___
#!/bin/sh
export CATALINA_HOME=/usr/local/apache-tomcat-5.5.20
export JAVA_HOME=/usr
$CATALINA_HOME/bin/startup.sh
end code ___

Is there someting wrong with my code(s)?
Wrong approach?

TIA

MacBookPro: MacOSX 10.4.9

Re: Launching Tomcat at boot = Problem solved.

Posted by "dimitryous r." <04...@edelphy.com>.
Thank you Edoardo, it works fine...

Problem solved.

Thank you all

Re: Launching Tomcat at boot, at boot, at boot

Posted by Edoardo Panfili <ed...@aspix.it>.

Posted by "dimitryous r." <04...@edelphy.com>.
Hello Hassan,

Re: Launching Tomcat at boot

Posted by Hassan Schroeder <ha...@gmail.com>.

Re: Launching Tomcat at boot

Posted by David Harrison <da...@stress-free.co.nz>.
On 26/03/2007, at 1:36 PM, Hassan Schroeder wrote:

>> No the JAVA_HOME directive is correct for OSX.
>
> ??? The article shows this line in the example startup script
>
>  export JAVA_HOME=/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Home
>
> and here's the JAVA_HOME variable from the PowerBook (OS X,
> 10.4.9) that I'm sending this from:
>
>  /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0
>
> So /if it were me/ I'd change that line in the OP's script :-)

Either way works but Apple seems to promote the JAVA_HOME=/usr
alternative:

http://developer.apple.com/internet/java/tomcat1.html

David

Re: Launching Tomcat at boot

Posted by Hassan Schroeder <ha...@gmail.com>.
On 3/25/07, David Harrison <da...@stress-free.co.nz> wrote:

> >> export JAVA_HOME=/usr

> No the JAVA_HOME directive is correct for OSX.
>
> This article maybe worth reading, it covers setting Tomcat to load on
> boot in OSX.
> It appears to be written for 10.3 but the theory should hold true for
> 10.4:

??? The article shows this line in the example startup script

  export JAVA_HOME=/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Home

and here's the JAVA_HOME variable from the PowerBook (OS X,
10.4.9) that I'm sending this from:

  /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0

So /if it were me/ I'd change that line in the OP's script :-)

YMMV,

Re: Launching Tomcat at boot

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
Good information!
Thanks David,
Martin--
This e-mail message (including attachments, if any) is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, proprietary , confidential and exempt from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.
Le présent message électronique (y compris les pièces qui y sont annexées, le cas échéant) s'adresse au destinataire indiqué et peut contenir des renseignements de caractère privé ou confidentiel. Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire de ce document, nous vous signalons qu'il est strictement interdit de le diffuser, de le distribuer ou de le reproduire.

Re: Launching Tomcat at boot

Posted by David Harrison <da...@stress-free.co.nz>.

Re: Launching Tomcat at boot

Posted by Hassan Schroeder <ha...@gmail.com>.
On 3/25/07, dimitryous r. <04...@edelphy.com> wrote:

> My start_tomcat contain the following code:

> export JAVA_HOME=/usr

Well, right off the bat that line is useless :-)  It needs to point to your
installation of Java. Fix that and make sure the script starts Tomcat
when run from the command line first...

HTH,