Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by Freeman Fang <fr...@gmail.com> on 2011/09/15 04:18:56 UTC

[DISCUSS] how to handle ws_security/interopfest example

Hi Team,

Due to the Microsoft WCF security related server down for quite a
while(probably over a year and I'm not sure if they can come back
again), so the ws_security/interopfest examples shipped with kit
doesn't work, I know that wssec10, wssec11, and wssc samples in
samples/ws_security/interopfest have local server, but those local
server also need download wsdl(I don't think we can ship those wsdls
for license reason) during runtime from Microsoft WCF server, so if
Microsoft WCF server is down, even local server doesn't work.

Currently we have a NOTES like
IMPORTANT NOTE:  since these samples rely on the external services
that are provided
by Microsoft, they may or may not run or even build reliably if the
services are down
or have been changed.

But if Microsoft WCF server never come back, it means those examples
will never work again,  so it's not a good experience for end user.
Should we contact Microsoft to ask the server back(:-))?   Should we
remove those examples? Or should we just leave it as is?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Best Regards
Freeman

Freeman Fang

FuseSource
Email:ffang@fusesource.com
Web: fusesource.com
Twitter: freemanfang
Blog: http://freemanfang.blogspot.com

Re: [DISCUSS] how to handle ws_security/interopfest example

Posted by Aki Yoshida <el...@googlemail.com>.
2011/9/15 Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>:
> On Thursday, September 15, 2011 2:25:55 PM Aki Yoshida wrote:
>> 2011/9/15 Freeman Fang <fr...@gmail.com>:
>> > Not sure we can download and ship the wsdl with CXF kit per license
>> > reason.
>> I was thinking about what to do with WS-RM tests and wanted to ask
>> about the licencing condition for those interoperabiliy lab's WSDLs.
>
> No one ever was able to descern the license on those WSDL's and schemas so we
> kind of took the approach of not to include them as the license is unknown.
>

>> Another thing I wanted to ask was whether we are allowed to mock
>> certain aspects of the system behavior using the recorded message
>> transcriptions from those third party servers/clients. Maybe, this is
>> also not allowed.
>
> I cannot see why this latter one would not be allowed.   Machine generated
> content doesn't really have any copywritable  content and shouldn't be an
> issue.

I hope it's allowed and indeed the owner of the generator should be
happy to have their data used by someone to verify its generator's
interoperability with other devices. But because of so many
unbelievable stories you hear, I thought, unless we get an explicit
permission, we may get into some trouble doing so.

In general, if you record output data from someone's device that
generates some output upon receiving some input and later we use this
recorded data to simulate the device, I think we could get into
trouble, no?

regards, aki

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

Posted by Aki Yoshida <el...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Freeman Fang <fr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Johan Edstrom <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Johan Edstrom <se...@gmail.com>.
Dan, as an ASF member, are you allowed to send an email asking if we can copy this down into
svn?

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Tuesday, September 20, 2011 3:18:51 AM gliesian wrote:
> From a user expectation standpoint, example programs should work (e.g.,
> access external dependencies).

Well, from my standpoint, it really depends on  what the purpose of the
example is.   For example, we COULD have an example that showed how to create
and use a CXF client to access salesforce.com data.   There definitely could
be some value in something like that to some people.   However, it would
obviously require access to external services.    In cases like this, it's
vital to point out, up front, in the README what the requirements are and set
the expectations immediately.  Another example may be using CXF clients to
manipulate your Amazon cloud via AWS.    Again, useful as an example for some
people, but completely dependent on external services (and actually an AWS
account for the user).

IMO, this particular sample falls into this type of case.   The purpose of the
interopfest stuff is (OK, was) specifically to show interopability between CXF
and .NET.   Without shipping full .NET clients, services, and STS, the only
way to really show that is to  use external services.   We tried to be as up
front about that in the README as we could.    The main issue now is that
those services now seem to be gone for good.

> Perhaps the interopfest project should not be considered a sample (example)
> project... and therefore moved out of the binary distribution and into the
> src distribution only, maybe in it's own folder (i.e, not under the samples
> folder)?
>
> If in the event, that the external dependencies are restored and/or included
> in the distribution and it makes sense to have the interopfest projects
> within the samples, they could be moved back.

Everything is in SVN.   We can always just restore it or even copy it out of
one of the tags if the services come back.     That IS why we use version
control.   :-)

At this point, I just don't see the interop plugfest endpoints coming back
anytime soon.   I would just remove them from the builds for now.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org

Re: [DISCUSS] how to handle ws_security/interopfest example

Posted by Eric Johnson <em...@fusesource.com>.
I totally agree that samples should work. If we cannot get the interop
stuff to work due to external dependencies, we should move them out of
the samples folder. If we want to keep them as is, we can put them in
a special folder with a README that clearly states that they may or
may not work.

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 6:18 AM, gliesian <ro...@gliesian.com> wrote:
> From a user expectation standpoint, example programs should work (e.g.,
> access external dependencies).
>
> Perhaps the interopfest project should not be considered a sample (example)
> project... and therefore moved out of the binary distribution and into the
> src distribution only, maybe in it's own folder (i.e, not under the samples
> folder)?
>
> If in the event, that the external dependencies are restored and/or included
> in the distribution and it makes sense to have the interopfest projects
> within the samples, they could be moved back.
>
> However, to bring this issue to a expedited closure, a more thorough
> explanation as to the history of the interopfest project(s), as well as
> including information about the current state and future expectation of
> these projects in the README.txt file(s) would probably be sufficient, with
> no other changes necessary.
>
> Thanks,
> Robert

Principle Technical Writer
FuseSource
Phone: (781) 280-4174
E-Mail: emjohnson@fusesource.com
Blog: http://documentingit.blogspot.com/
Twitter: finnmccumial

Re: [DISCUSS] how to handle ws_security/interopfest example

Posted by gliesian <ro...@gliesian.com>.

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
On Fri Sep 16 09:35:33 2011, Freeman Fang wrote:

> On 2011-9-16, at 上午12:56, Daniel Kulp wrote:
>

>> Colm and I were discussing this a bit yesterday as well. I'm not
>> really sure
>> what to do. :-(
>>
>> One thought I had was that if we could somehow get the wsdl's (any Mac
>> TimeMachine users that may have them from a previous build or
>> something?) I
>> could throw them up on my personal server for now. Reconfigure the
>> examples
>> to then just use the local server. That would work for WS-Sec, and WS-SC
>> tests, but not the Trust due to the need for the MS STS. With Colm's
>> proposal this morning, we could have an STS as well.
> Thanks Dan for this kind suggestion.
> But put the wsdl in a personal server still make cxf example rely on
> some outside servers, though I believe your server must be more stable
> than the MS one :-), I prefer that cxf examples can run standalone.
>>
>> That said, the above is a bit of work and I'm not sure how worth it
>> that would
>> be at this point. If we're going to to all that work, it's probably just
>> better to create a couple new "simpler" samples that show the various
>> security
>> options. For example, if we pull in the STS, a good example that uses
>> that to
>> show using SAML to secure a service or similar might be a bit more
>> useful than
>> the interopfest things that just test a bunch of policies.
> I like the idea that create a couple new "simpler" samples that show
> the various security options, as cxf could have a better STS as well
> soon.
> How about we exclude ws_security/interopfest example from kit for now
> and we can add more useful security related examples later on.

I think the CXF example should work out of box with relaying on other
service, simpler security example could be helpful for the user to
understander the it.
I definitely +1 for it.

> Regards
> Freeman
>>
>> Dan
>>

>> On Thursday, September 15, 2011 10:18:56 AM Freeman Fang wrote:
>>> Hi Team,
>>>
>>> Due to the Microsoft WCF security related server down for quite a
>>> while(probably over a year and I'm not sure if they can come back
>>> again), so the ws_security/interopfest examples shipped with kit
>>> doesn't work, I know that wssec10, wssec11, and wssc samples in
>>> samples/ws_security/interopfest have local server, but those local
>>> server also need download wsdl(I don't think we can ship those wsdls
>>> for license reason) during runtime from Microsoft WCF server, so if
>>> Microsoft WCF server is down, even local server doesn't work.
>>>
>>> Currently we have a NOTES like
>>> IMPORTANT NOTE: since these samples rely on the external services
>>> that are provided
>>> by Microsoft, they may or may not run or even build reliably if the
>>> services are down
>>> or have been changed.
>>>
>>> But if Microsoft WCF server never come back, it means those examples
>>> will never work again, so it's not a good experience for end user.
>>> Should we contact Microsoft to ask the server back(:-))? Should we
>>> remove those examples? Or should we just leave it as is?
>>>
>>> Any feedback is appreciated.
>>>
>>> Best Regards
>>> Freeman

>>> Freeman Fang
>>>
>>> FuseSource
>>> Email:ffang@fusesource.com
>>> Web: fusesource.com
>>> Twitter: freemanfang
>>> Blog: http://freemanfang.blogspot.com
>> --
>> Daniel Kulp
>> dkulp@apache.org
>> http://dankulp.com/blog
>> Talend - http://www.talend.com

> Freeman Fang
>
> FuseSource
> Email:ffang@fusesource.com
> Web: fusesource.com
> Twitter: freemanfang
> Blog: http://freemanfang.blogspot.com

--
Willem

Re: [DISCUSS] how to handle ws_security/interopfest example

Posted by Freeman Fang <fr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.