Posted to dev@systemml.apache.org by Nantia Makrynioti <na...@gmail.com> on 2017/09/04 09:24:15 UTC

Memory estimates equal to zero

Hello,

I generated a HOP plan and memory estimates for the input data of HOP
operators are all 0MB. The code runs locally and the execution type is CP.
What could be the case where memory is estimated to 0MB?

Thank you very much,
Nantia

Re: Memory estimates equal to zero

Posted by Janardhan Pulivarthi <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi Nantia,

Yes, even the negative estimates happened sometimes, as follows (although,
this was fixed) :
```

DEBUG opt.Optimizer: --- RULEBASED OPTIMIZER -------
DEBUG opt.Optimizer: RULEBASED OPT: Optimize w/
max_mem=12743MB/525MB/525MB, max_k=16/144/144).
WARN opt.CostEstimator: Cannot get memory estimate for hop
(op=BIAS_ADD, name=4_out, memest=-1.238822E7).
WARN opt.CostEstimator: Cannot get memory estimate for hop
(op=DIRECT_CONV2D, name=4_out, memest=-7612708.0).

WARN opt.CostEstimator: Cannot get memory estimate for hop (op=BIAS_ADD,
name=5_out, memest=-3096956.0).
```
As far as I believe, Some possible causes might be:
1. unspecified degree of parallelism and/or execution type (in your case it
is CP)
2. Due to the offsetting of the worstcase estimates and optimized estimates.

If you need additional help, you might want to provide additional details:
1. dml function used
2. and its configuration

Thanks,
Janardhan