Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by David Smith <dn...@cornell.edu> on 2004/02/03 03:40:12 UTC

Query about remote_user header & Tomcat 5.0.16

I've googled to every relevant doc I can find on this and can't seem to
locate a reason for it.  Hopefully someone on the list can help.

Here's the setup:

Apache 1.3.28 web server acts as a front-end to the public.  It has a
special home-grown authentication module for use here at Cornell used to
protect some web pages with Kerberos identities and sets a header,
HTTP_REMOTE_USER, with the username of the successfully authenticated
user.  No big deal.  I was just using mod_rewrite to proxy the request back
to Tomcat for processing and Cocoon would pick up the header as
remote_user.  Tomcat wouldn't even see the request unless the user was
authenticated.

Here's the problem:

I had to switch to Struts for an app I'm working on and now I can't get the
remote_user header any more unless I use the mod_jk connector.  Is there
any reason the HTTP_REMOTE_USER header isn't accepted by the Coyote
connector?  As far as I can tell, this isn't a Struts issue.  Struts code
appears to simply give the action class an instance of HttpServletRequest
with out alteration.  I'd prefer to use mod_rewrite and proxy the Tomcat
service as much as possible because it allows me more flexibility in
mapping requests back to Tomcat.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

--David