Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Christian Clauss <Ch...@ptv.de> on 2007/03/20 08:47:15 UTC

Linux build & Windows build asynchron

Hello everybody,

I'm trying to do an asynchron build process. I have to build my files on a
Linux environment and on a Windows environment. Actually these two build
processes run one and then the other. I copy the files via the ant scp-task
to the Linux machine and start the build process by running a shell script.
When finished are the files copied back to Windows using the ant scp-task
again. Subsequently the build process on the Windows environment is started.
The code is written in C++ so it's necessary that it is compiled on both
environments.

My question: is it possible in Maven2 that the build process on a Linux
environment is started and at the same time the Windows build is started?
After one of the two builds has finished, Maven2 has to wait for the other
process to finish and then continue. Is this possible to realise?

Thanks a lot for your endeavours to assist.

Christian

Re: How to use JunitEE in M2?

Posted by Pete <pe...@gmail.com>.
Jesse,

If you have a look at this link

http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/best+practices+-+testing+strategies

and then search for my comment see
'Posted by Pete at Feb 11, 2006 16:15 | Permalink'

this was an approach I took and got JUnitEE working.

cheers
Pete

How to use JunitEE in M2?

Posted by JesseLiu <je...@ecvision.com>.
Hi there,

Re: Linux build & Windows build asynchron

Posted by Emmanuel Hugonnet <eh...@orange-ft.com>.
Jerome Lacoste wrote:
> On 3/20/07, Christian Clauss <Ch...@ptv.de> wrote:
>>
>> Hello everybody,
>>

>> I'm trying to do an asynchron build process. I have to build my files
>> on a
>> Linux environment and on a Windows environment. Actually these two build
>> processes run one and then the other. I copy the files via the ant
>> scp-task
>> to the Linux machine and start the build process by running a shell
>> script.
>> When finished are the files copied back to Windows using the ant scp-task
>> again. Subsequently the build process on the Windows environment is
>> started.
>> The code is written in C++ so it's necessary that it is compiled on both
>> environments.
>>
>> My question: is it possible in Maven2 that the build process on a Linux
>> environment is started and at the same time the Windows build is started?
>> After one of the two builds has finished, Maven2 has to wait for the
>> other
>> process to finish and then continue. Is this possible to realise?
>>

>> Thanks a lot for your endeavours to assist.
>

> As Wayne said, I think you should be able to achieve this using a CI
> server.
>
> I think the CruiseControl (http://cruisecontrol.sf.net) distributed
> extension might help. There are perhaps other open source CI servers that
> support distributed builds,
>
> Jerome

Hudson (https://hudson.dev.java.net) should be able to do this as well
and it is quite easy to configure and use.
Emmanuel

Re: Linux build & Windows build asynchron

Posted by Jerome Lacoste <je...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
Look for a Continuous Integration server available for both Windows
and Linux that can compile your code etc on both environments.
Depending on your SCM, you might be able to wire things up so both
builds are automatically started any time code is checked in, or just
do a hourly/nightly build etc.

Wayne