Posted to dev@mahout.apache.org by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com> on 2013/09/09 01:39:27 UTC

interesting matrix decomposition idea

http://arxiv.org/pdf/1107.0789v6.pdf

The basic idea is to use randomized column sampling to divide the matrix
into parts which are then decomposed using whatever method de jour you
like.  The decompositions of the parts can then be put back together to get
a good estimate of the decomposition of the original matrix.

Combined row and column decomposition can also be used and I think
extension to row sampling (more convenient for us) is relatively trivial.

Re: interesting matrix decomposition idea

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Given the authorship of the paper, I think your guess is good.

Posted by Nick Pentreath <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Musselman <an...@gmail.com>.
The divide and conquer approach sounds promising; along those lines I have
heard things about non-negative matrix factorization being worth doing
since there are methods to break the matrix into parts and then combine the
result after processing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-negative_matrix_factorization

http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/phoyer/papers/pdf/NMFscweb.pdf

Posted by Dmitriy Lyubimov <dl...@gmail.com>.