Posted to user@flume.apache.org by Buntu Dev <bu...@gmail.com> on 2015/01/23 21:46:12 UTC

Flume to handle spam detection and rate limiting

Hi -- I'm ingesting data to HDFS via Flume and wanted to know if there any
built-in features to handle spam detection and rate limiting to avoid any
possible flooding of data. Please let me know.

Thanks!

Re: Flume to handle spam detection and rate limiting

Posted by Mohit Durgapal <du...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I don't think that there is any spam detection features that are in-built
in flume. But don't you think spam-filtering and check against other
attacks should happen a layer before flume, maybe add a layer of  LBs
between the web-server(or any other source generating data stream) and
flume?

Did you consider using a load balancer like HAProxy?
Have a look at
http://blog.haproxy.com/2012/02/27/use-a-load-balancer-as-a-first-row-of-defense-against-ddos/
.

Hope that helps.