Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com> on 2015/08/05 03:33:46 UTC

[ANN] 2015 Committer School for people who want to become Maven Committers

It's time for the yearly committer school announcement.

If your company uses Maven, wouldn't it be good to convince them to spend
some of your time helping to make Maven better for them (and every one
else)?

If you use Maven, which of your itches do you think need scratching the
most? Find some spare time to make Maven a better tool.

Do you have knowledgeable non-technical people that could help contribute
too? Writing the documentation in a coherent way targetted to the specific
need of the user's skill level is hard. Ask you company to kick in by
assigning some talent to make understanding things better.

Read Stephen's blog post
http://javaadventure.blogspot.ie/2012/07/do-you-want-to-become-maven-committer.html
and let us know.

Re: [ANN] 2015 Committer School for people who want to become Maven Committers

Posted by Benjamin Chylla <ej...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

I have a question. I am trying to use Git in order to work with the source
code in the Maven Respository. When I find a Maven project issue on JIRA,
how do I determine which GitHub repository to make a fork of?

>From my understanding, https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/maven.git is
the location of the main git repository for Maven, but there is also a
separate repository for the integration tests for the Maven core (https:
//git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/maven-integration-testing.git), as well
as other components (Archetype, Indexer, Plugin Testing, SCM, Surefire, and
Wagon).

For example, one of the open JIRA issues that I am interested in working on
has the following components listed: Embedding
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG/component/12325608>, General
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG/component/12325623>, Logging
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG/component/12325605>,Performance
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG/component/12325616>, Reactor and
workspace <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG/component/12325615>.
There are two other issues that I am interested in; one displays
"Dependencies" after "Component/s", while the other displays "None."

I would also like to know whether the "Affects Version/s" section is
important. I am using Maven 3.3.3 on my machine. Is it important to use a
version of Maven that closely matches the affected version?

- Benjamin Chylla