Posted to dev@aries.apache.org by Timothy Ward <ti...@apache.org> on 2011/10/07 15:00:29 UTC

RE: Semantic Versioning tool

Hi BJ,

I'd like to check an example with you, just to confirm that I have this absolutely right in my head and hopefully clarify things for anyone who is still confused. The Aries Proxy component makes use of OSGi 4.3 Weaving Hooks, which expects bundles to provide a WeavingHook implementation service. Even though the proxy bundle implements the WeavingHook interface I believe it is a consumer of the Weaving Hook API (the provider being the framework) because the WeavingHook interface is designed to be implemented by users. This means (I think) that the proxy component should use an import range of [1,2) for that package.

Regards,

Tim

Posted by Timothy Ward <ti...@apache.org>.
Thanks for the confirmation (and additional info). Hopefully this can serve as a useful concrete example for any future discussions in Aries.

Tim

To: timothyjward@apache.org
CC: dev@aries.apache.org; timothyjward@hotmail.com
Subject: RE: Semantic Versioning tool
From: hargrave@us.ibm.com
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2011 16:24:32 -0400

The package-info file for the weaving package
provides the clue. The framework is considered the provider of the weaving
API. The WeavingHook type is not marked @noimplement as it is expected
to be implemented by consumers of the API. So the proxy component should
import the range "[1,2)".

--

BJ Hargrave

Senior Technical Staff Member, IBM