Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Yi Liang <wh...@gmail.com> on 2011/12/27 11:53:44 UTC

Read speed down after long running

Hi all,

We're running hbase 0.90.3 for one read intensive application.

We find after long running(2 weeks or 1 month or longer), the read speed
will become much lower.

For example, a get_rows operation of thrift to fetch 20 rows (about 4k size
every row) could take >2 second, sometimes even >5 seconds. When it
happens, we can see cpu_wio keeps at about 10.

But if we restart hbase(only master and regionservers) with stop-hbase.sh
and start-hbase.sh, we can see the read speed back to normal immediately,
which is <200 ms for every get_rows operation, and the cpu_wio drops to
about 2.

When the problem appears, there's no exception in logs, and no
flush/compaction, nothing abnormal except a few warning logs sometimes like
below:
2011-12-27 15:50:20,307 WARN org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.wal.HLog:
IPC Server handler 52 on 60020 took 1546 ms appending an edit to hlog;
editcount=1, len~=9.8k

Our cluster has 10 region servers, each with 25g heap size, 64% of which
used for cache. The're some m/r jobs keep running in another cluster to
feed data into the this hbase. Every night, we do flush and major
compaction. Usually there's no flush or compaction in the daytime.

Could anybody explain why the read speed could become lower after long
running, and why it back to normal immediately after restarting hbase?

Every advice will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Yi