Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com> on 2016/01/19 12:41:59 UTC

use of NO-JIRA in commit logs

Hi folks,

There seems to be an over abundance of NO-JIRA in the commit logs of late.

Most commits should have JIRA references, particularly for code/build
changes with change in behaviour observable by users. If there is a
reason you are changing something, there is likely a reason it should
have a JIRA, and where a JIRA exists it should be referenced. If it
relates to a JIRA you are already working on for a release, then using
that JIRA is better than using NO-JIRA.

Background:

The NO-JIRA tag was originally suggested as a way to escape a possible
commit hook enforcing all commits had a JIRA reference, proposed
because a vast proportion had none at the time. That commit hook never
came into existence because with the ASF subversion repo being shared
foundation-wide it was deemed too much overhead for something that
projects/committers should easily be able to self-govern. Use of the
NO-JIRA tag remained however as a means of making it clear that not
referencing a JIRA was deliberate and/or to save creating one for a
truly trivial and typically non-code/build change, e.g update a README
etc.

Robbie

Re: use of NO-JIRA in commit logs

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.
On Tue, 2016-01-26 at 17:26 +0000, Robbie Gemmell wrote:
> On 26 January 2016 at 15:18, Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2016-01-19 at 11:41 +0000, Robbie Gemmell wrote:
> > > Hi folks,
> > >
> > > There seems to be an over abundance of NO-JIRA in the commit logs
> > > of
> > > late.
> >
> > MEA culpa, a lot of those are C++ binding work. I will make sure to
> > link future such changes to some over-arching feature JIRA.
> >

> That would be nice. Things that have never been released are of less
> concern, though I guess the C++ bits were previously even if in early
> and far less fleshed out form, but having a single JIRA for those is
> better than none. It wasn't really those that prompted my mail in any
> case, rather a number of other 'change behaviour people might
> need/want to be aware of' or perhaps 'do opposite of a previous
> commit
> that did have a JIRA' type commits occurring over time.

Why I would NEVER do something like THAT!!! Shocking! Absolutely
Shocking!

:)

Re: use of NO-JIRA in commit logs

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.