Posted to adffaces-dev@incubator.apache.org by Ganesh Rao <ra...@gmail.com> on 2006/09/14 21:19:53 UTC

Please help us in choosing the right JSF component library

Hello,

          We are currently in the process of switching over to JSF and a
suitable JSF component library. Our biggest challenge is choosing a suitable
JSF component library out of MyFaces Tomahawk, MyFaces Tobago and MyFaces
Trinidad. Please could you guys throw some clarity on the following issues,
1. is it absolutely necessary that we choose one of these three libraries ?
1. are these three component libraries going to be merged into one library ?
2. if you recommend Trinidad, is it a good idea to start using Trinidad
right away ? In other words do you foresee a lot of changes being committed
to the codebase in the next few months ? We are currently in the process of
prototyping; so it would be perfectly okay for us to use Trinidad as long as
your plan is to release a production-ready version of Trinidad in the next
1-2 months.

Thanking you all in advance,
Ganesh

Re: Please help us in choosing the right JSF component library

Posted by Arash Rajaeeyan <ar...@gmail.com>.
Hi

I have also used Oracle ADF faces and Trinidad, as long as you don't want to
use portlets they are fine, (tomahawk also has problems with portlet for
example in file upload)

ADF has lots of advantages for example, a new scope for managed beans which
gives your user ability to run multiple instances of same pages in different
windows without any problem
you can use Oracle ADF for your prototype and later switch to Trinidad or
just start with Trinidad.

Regards
Arash Rajaeeyan

Posted by Arnaud MERGEY <am...@sunopsis.com>.
Hi,

I use trinidad for few month now, and you shouldn't be afraid of
"incubator milestone" status.
I think major refactoring is already done (package, components, tag
renaming, .........), and there will be only minor changes.

My current experience of Trinidad with my web applications is  that,
actual codebase, is stable and has no major issue. I think M1 version of
trinidad should be released soon and will be like a "production quality"
release.
I have choosen Trinidad because in my opinion there are no equivalent
open source JSF components libs, Trinidad represent an amazing job, lots
of components, with rich features, easy to use, skinable and so on, ...
I needed to write entirely dynamic application. (form with dynamic input
types (switcher) and dynamic number of field, table with dynamic
columns, .....)
Tobago and Tomahawk are too limited for that compared to Trinidad.

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.
On 9/14/06, Ganesh Rao <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>           We are currently in the process of switching over to JSF and a
> suitable JSF component library. Our biggest challenge is choosing a suitable
> JSF component library out of MyFaces Tomahawk, MyFaces Tobago and MyFaces
> Trinidad. Please could you guys throw some clarity on the following issues,
> 1. is it absolutely necessary that we choose one of these three libraries ?
> 1. are these three component libraries going to be merged into one library ?
> 2. if you recommend Trinidad, is it a good idea to start using Trinidad
> right away ? In other words do you foresee a lot of changes being committed
> to the codebase in the next few months ? We are currently in the process of
> prototyping; so it would be perfectly okay for us to use Trinidad as long as
> your plan is to release a production-ready version of Trinidad in the next
> 1-2 months.

If you choose Tobago, you will be restricted to Tobago rendering
components.   We are about to start a dialog on how we might make
Tobago more friendly with other component sets, but I doubt that will
be finished in 2 months.

Trinidad hasn't even left the incubator.   It is unlikely to be in a
production-ready state in two months as it is undergoing many changes.

If 1-2 months is your target, then you are probably going to want to
use Tomahawk or possibly ADFFaces or some other commercial component
set.