Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Adam Jack <aj...@TrySybase.com> on 2003/05/02 22:36:49 UTC

[VFS] Getting connection timeouts...

I downloaded the latest (nightly) VFS jar, having previously used the
1.0-dev release. It seem that the "exist" method does do something for
UrlFileObject now, 'cos I am seeing a very different behaviour. I am getting
connection timeouts. Trouble is, if I use my browser (with no doubt a long
timeout for humans) I get through & it doesn't seem slow.

Maybe this is my modem, maybe it is just a bad day for the network, or a bad
day for the server. That said, it doesn't seem like very long before the
failure. Is there some way I can affect this timeout (through VFS, or
around, or ??) Thank in advance for any help.

BTW: Are there any plans to move VFS to HttpClient?

regards,

Adam
--
<http://www.try.sybase.com>
Experience Sybase Technology ...[importcent] May 2, 2003 1:46:25 PM
org.krysalis.version.util.logging.commons.CommonsLogHandle warn
[importcent] WARNING: Failed to find [http://krysalis.org/library/cents/]
[importcent] org.apache.commons.vfs.FileSystemException: Could not determine
the type of file "http:
//krysalis.org/library/cents".
[importcent]    at
org.apache.commons.vfs.provider.AbstractFileObject.attach(AbstractFileObject
.java
:929)
[importcent]    at
org.apache.commons.vfs.provider.AbstractFileObject.exists(AbstractFileObject
.java
:370)
[importcent]    at
org.krysalis.ruper.repo.impl.NamedHierarchyRepository.exists(NamedHierarchyR
eposi
tory.java:82)
[importcent]    at
org.krysalis.ruper.repo.impl.RepositoryFactory.get(RepositoryFactory.java:11
3)
[importcent]    at
org.krysalis.ruper.RepositorySet.addRepository(RepositorySet.java:138)
[importcent]    at
org.krysalis.ruper.ResourceUpdater.addRepository(ResourceUpdater.java:214)
[importcent]    at
org.krysalis.ruper.ResourceUpdater.addRepository(ResourceUpdater.java:224)
[importcent]    at
org.krysalis.ant.taskdefs.ImportCentTask.populateRepoSet(ImportCentTask.java
:240)

[importcent]    at
org.krysalis.ant.taskdefs.ImportCentTask.execute(ImportCentTask.java:191)
[importcent]    at
org.apache.tools.ant.UnknownElement.execute(UnknownElement.java:231)
[importcent]    at org.apache.tools.ant.Task.perform(Task.java:399)
[importcent]    at org.apache.tools.ant.Target.execute(Target.java:309)
[importcent]    at
org.apache.tools.ant.helper.ProjectHelper2.parse(ProjectHelper2.java:128)
[importcent]    at
org.apache.tools.ant.ProjectHelper.configureProject(ProjectHelper.java:117)
[importcent]    at org.apache.tools.ant.Main.runBuild(Main.java:596)
[importcent]    at org.apache.tools.ant.Main.start(Main.java:198)
[importcent]    at org.apache.tools.ant.Main.main(Main.java:245)
[importcent] Caused by: java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out:
connect
[importcent]    at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)
[importcent]    at
java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(PlainSocketImpl.java:305)
[importcent]    at
java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSocketImpl.java:171)
[importcent]    at
java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:158)
[importcent]    at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:426)
[importcent]    at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:376)
[importcent]    at sun.net.NetworkClient.doConnect(NetworkClient.java:139)
[importcent]    at
sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.openServer(HttpClient.java:386)
[importcent]    at
sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.openServer(HttpClient.java:602)
[importcent]    at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.<init>(HttpClient.java:303)
[importcent]    at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.<init>(HttpClient.java:264)
[importcent]    at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.New(HttpClient.java:336)
[importcent]    at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.New(HttpClient.java:317)
[importcent]    at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.New(HttpClient.java:312)
[importcent]    at
sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.plainConnect(HttpURLConnection.j
ava:4
81)
[importcent]    at
sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.connect(HttpURLConnection.java:4
72)
[importcent]    at
org.apache.commons.vfs.provider.url.UrlFileObject.doGetType(UrlFileObject.ja
va:10
9)
[importcent]    at
org.apache.commons.vfs.provider.AbstractFileObject.attach(AbstractFileObject
.java
:917)
[importcent]    ... 16 more

RE: [VFS] Getting connection timeouts...

Posted by Adam Jack <aj...@TrySybase.com>.
FWIIW: I believe this was a problem with the remove server (or networks). I
could reproduce the problem with a normal Java URL get, so nothing in VFS
was causing it.

regards

Adam