Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by oc tsdb <oc...@gmail.com> on 2014/10/09 13:19:54 UTC

Standby Namenode and Datanode coexistence

Hi,

We have cluster with 3 nodes (1 namenode + 2 datanodes).
Cluster is running with hadoop 2.4.0 version.

We would like to add High Availability(HA) to Namenode using the Quorum
Journal Manager.

As per the below link, we need two NN machines with same configuration.

http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r2.4.0/hadoop-project-dist/hadoop-hdfs/HDFSHighAvailabilityWithQJM.html#Hardware
resources

Our query is:

As we have existing cluster with 3 nodes (1 namenode + 2 datanodes), can we
configure standby namenode on one of the datanodes? Will there be any
issues if we run standby namenode and datanode together?
Or we should add one more machine and configure it as standby namenode?

Regarding Journal node, Can we run it on any machine (datanode and
namenode)?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
oc.tsdb

Re: Standby Namenode and Datanode coexistence

Posted by Manoj Samel <ma...@gmail.com>.
The HA namenode also should run hadoop-hdfs-zkfc which is the zookeeper
failover controller for HA

Posted by Manoj Samel <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Manoj Samel <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Manoj Samel <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by oc tsdb <oc...@gmail.com>.
One more query we have -

Posted by oc tsdb <oc...@gmail.com>.
One more query we have -

Posted by oc tsdb <oc...@gmail.com>.
One more query we have -

Posted by oc tsdb <oc...@gmail.com>.
One more query we have -

Posted by oc tsdb <oc...@gmail.com>.
Thank you.We understood.

Posted by oc tsdb <oc...@gmail.com>.
Thank you.We understood.

Posted by oc tsdb <oc...@gmail.com>.
Thank you.We understood.

Posted by oc tsdb <oc...@gmail.com>.
Thank you.We understood.

Posted by SF Hadoop <sf...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Manoj Samel <ma...@gmail.com>.
Quorum services like journal node (and zookeeper) need to have at least 3
instances running

Posted by Manoj Samel <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by SF Hadoop <sf...@gmail.com>.

Posted by SF Hadoop <sf...@gmail.com>.