Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Jonas Schlichtenbrede <jo...@gmail.com> on 2016/08/15 14:23:40 UTC

Working/Supported versions for VMware vCenter and ESXi Hosts/Cluster for CloudStack 4.9

Hi Dev Team,

we have a question regarding the current working/supported version for
VMware.

Which version can/shall we use for a new Zone/Cluster for vCenter and for
the ESXi Hosts/Cluster?

Will it be possible to do the following:

- Using an existing vCenter 6 and ESXi 6 hosts

- Setup a new VMware Cluster with 2-4 ESXi 6 hosts controlled by CloudStack

In the Installation Guide only version 5.5 for vCenter and ESXi is listed.
However, in the mailing lists it seems that also version 6 of vCenter and
ESXi shall work - but we would like to reduce our testing efforts ... ;-)

Thanks for sharing your experience and advise!

Jonas

Re: Working/Supported versions for VMware vCenter and ESXi Hosts/Cluster for CloudStack 4.9

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi Jonas,

We've not yet updated the docs as we've not performed tests on/with vCenter/ESXi 6 exhaustively. In practice, it does seem to work. We've an automated Trillian [1] based environment where we're able to deploy an advanced (CloudStack 4.9) zone with vCenter/ESXi 6 and get basic vm lifecycle working but we've not yet performed all VMware specific tests/operations/features to conclude full support/compatibility.

I would advise to go ahead and test vCenter/ESXi 6 with CloudStack 4.9.0 for your use-cases and please do share the results with us (if it works, or in case you hit any bug). This will help us ascertain VMware 6.x compatibility/support when using with CloudStack.

[1] http://www.shapeblue.com/cloudstack-test-automation-with-trillian-and-jenkins/

Regards.

rohit.yadav@shapeblue.comĀ
www.shapeblue.com